Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2007, 11:43 AM   #1

RMS Failure 10 Days Out Of Warranty

Subject says it all. According to the dealer, the warranty expired on 11/03, zero oil leaks up until this morning, saw a puddle, took it to the dealer, RMS leaky. I bought the car second-hand, I just had the delivery date checked, it definitely is 11/03/03 - BUT - I have two receipts for service I'd previously done at the dealer that show a delivery date of 11/30/03, attributed to an "inputing error", but that was the date I'd been operating under.

Dealer is elevating it to PNA, but I'd appreciate any suggestions on how to handle this. If they refuse, I'm going to push the issue on two points. First, the car is only 10 days out of warranty and this is a well-known chronic problem with Boxsters, and second, that due to the dealer's error, I'd been operating under the assumption that I still had warranty through the end of the month.

Last edited by pbanders; 11-13-2007 at 12:32 PM.
pbanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:56 AM   #2
bmussatti

Paul, sorry, that sucks.

Being persistant and professional with PCNA and your dealership will prove most benficial for you.

Good luck.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:58 AM   #3

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll have much success using either argument. Yes, it's a documented issue, but the car is out of warranty, plain and simple. And yes, you assumed your warranty was valid for an additional 27 days, but simply "believing" you had a bit more warranty left on the car doesn't change the fact that you discovered the problem after the warranty officially expired. It's not as if you would have taken the car in sooner for the repair, since you didn't notice the leak until today. You may get them to cover it, but considering the cost of the repair, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

There is no substitute.
Padawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:05 PM   #4

assuming you are a member, Contact your local Porsche Club of America chapter, explain the situation and see if there is a dealership that works with the PCA and will offer some discounts or pressure PNA on your behalf.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:30 PM   #5

Actually, I was planning on taking the car to the dealer next week for a "last inspection before the warranty ends", because I was operating under the assumption that the warranty was ending on 11/30. My guess is that PCNA will not cover it, despite the dealer's error.

It isn't like me to get warranty dates wrong, especially when it coincided with the date when I qualify for early retirement from work . So, on a hunch, I looked in my records for the ad for the car from the place I bought it from, and sure enough, the ad states "full factory warranty through 11.30.07". So, I called them up and they will cut me a deal on the repair should PCNA refuse to cover it.

OK, so what's a good "deal" (e.g. at cost) for replacing the RMS on an '03 with Tip?
Old 11-13-2007, 01:00 PM   #6

a good deal is ZERO out of pocket costs for you.

"full factory warranty" is "full factory warranty", their words not yours.
False advertising is against the law.

I wouldn't jump all over them yet, wait and see how it pans out.
I'd start preparing a letter to the head top numero uno guy at the dealership and enclose a copy of what was presented to you in terms of a warranty coverage periods. Let the dealer and PCNA work it out, the dealer is on the hook.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-13-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #7

That's pretty much my plan, I'll wait to see how it plays out. I've got so much stuff going on that I have limited energy and time to fight it too much, if I can get either the dealer or the seller to cut me a deal at all, I'll pay the difference. From what I can tell, the RMS eventually lets go in more case than not, anyway.

Perfectlap, I see you've got the same wheels as me, but you've got the tires I have on my M3, the Goodyear's. My Boxster currently has some off-brand Korean tires that were tossed onto it before the sale. How do you like the D3's on the Boxster? On my M3, they've been super - low noise, stay in balance, low wear, and extremely good dry and wet performance, a notch below Michelin Pilot's, but more than enough for street.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #8
bmussatti

pbanders, you should also consider doing your clutch at the same time. Work this into your negotiation with the dealership. Possibly you pay thier costs for the clutch parts, and they provide labor at no charge. Just a thought.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:49 PM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
From what I have read, getting the RMS replaced is only about $700, but that goes up to about $10K if you don't catch it and let the engine die.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
pbanders, you should also consider doing your clutch at the same time. Work this into your negotiation with the dealership. Possibly you pay thier costs for the clutch parts, and they provide labor at no charge. Just a thought.
He has a tip so good luck with the clutch

If I recall correctly, tips make RMS more expensive to get at? (or no?)
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:42 PM   #11
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL12
He has a tip so good luck with the clutch

If I recall correctly, tips make RMS more expensive to get at? (or no?)
My bad, missed that point.

I also think Tips have less occurance of RMS. Right?
Old 11-14-2007, 08:37 AM   #12

Pbanders,
Eagle F1's are EXCELLENT on the Boxster. Best tires I have driven in the rain. And cheaper than Bstones and Michelin make it a no brainer next time around. I usually never try the same tire twice but I will make an exception with the F1's.
I'm getting close to removing them and mounting the Pirellis Snows which I run until the end of April.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:52 AM   #13

Just spoke to my service advisor at the dealer - PCNA gave them full authorization for the repair to be covered, they're working on the car. Great relief, no hassles in getting this fixed. Thanks to all for the advice.
Old 11-14-2007, 12:15 PM   #14

well as much as we slam Porsche, credit is due where credit is due.

Good job Porsche

and an extra

for the insane revenues on option trading by Porsche.
They made* three times* on trading as what they made on selling cars this year. Porsche are swimming in euros...

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/node/7027
Old 11-14-2007, 12:39 PM   #15

I have a 1997. According to my dealer's computer my car was sold (at their dealership) on January 1, 1997. I am not the original owner. I know this is not true because the car had not even been built that early in the month. There is a date stamp on the engine lid of January 24th, and it takes time to ship the car to the US. My maintenance book has the correct date of March 24, 1997.

This became an issue for me in February 2005 because my DME needed to be replaced, and I wanted it replaced for free under the 8 year California emission warranty. The service guy started to tell me the 8 years had expired the month before. The DME was replaced for free.

The mechanic who replaced the DME told me that back then they "punched" the car before it was really put in service. Or, my case, it was "punched" even before it was built.

So check your maintenance booklet if you have one.

Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote