Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2007, 04:01 PM   #1

spoiler removal on a 986

I have done this on other cars but, for some reason it's a pain in the ass on mine. I can't even get the damn painted cover off. I popped out the rivets, 3 of them but, it won't budge. On the back side of the spoiler it's got tabs that won't allow me to remove it. my car is an 01', any quick help will be appreciated. I'm trying to install my new exhaust and some say you don't have to remove the bumper but, I see no way around it. Now I've got to take it off though to get those plastic pins out of the spoiler.

yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
I took mine off my 2000 recently to install my exhaust. My recollection is to pull up on the leading edge (side facing the rear trunk) and back toward the opposing edge. There is a lip or tabs on the rear edge necessitating the front edge to be free before the whole painted piece can be removed. Once you get the leading edge up you continue rotating it rearward until you can free the rear edge from the tabs or lip. I'm having a difficult time describing this, so I hope this helps a little.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb
I took mine off my 2000 recently to install my exhaust. My recollection is to pull up on the leading edge (side facing the rear trunk) and back toward the opposing edge. There is a lip or tabs on the rear edge necessitating the front edge to be free before the whole painted piece can be removed. Once you get the leading edge up you continue rotating it rearward until you can free the rear edge from the tabs or lip. I'm having a difficult time describing this, so I hope this helps a little.

I know exactly what you're talking about. It took a little while but, it popped off. The problem turned out to be that some numbnuts put some sort of glue on the bottom side, after I broke that free, it came right off. I'm reinstalling it the correct way that holds on just fine.

thanks for the help though, much appreciated. Can't wait to get this Stebro on now.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:25 PM   #4

YB-

I found it 100% easier once I got the spoiler/bumper off to get to the exhaust. Dealer sells new plastic rivets for pennies. This is defnitely the cheapest invoice from the Pcar dealer I will ever see. I almost want to frame it.

1989 911 Cabriolet
Grand Prix White/Black

Stock except:
Turbo 7x9 Fuchs

SOLD!
2002 986S
Seal Gray/Black
Painted Center Console
18" Turbo Twists with rear spacers
Tequipment aluminum shift knob
Colored center caps
De-ambered tail lights/side markers

Stock except:
B&B catback exhaust

http://i29.tinypic.com/i6crck.jpg
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:53 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson95
YB-

I found it 100% easier once I got the spoiler/bumper off to get to the exhaust. Dealer sells new plastic rivets for pennies. This is defnitely the cheapest invoice from the Pcar dealer I will ever see. I almost want to frame it.
damn them, they should just charge like $10 this is totally un-porsche hahaha

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote