986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Winter driving without PSM? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14150)

svenscot 11-11-2007 03:56 PM

Winter driving without PSM?

Hi everyone. I've been loving the last few months driving my 2001 Boxster S but now in a real dilemma. A few weeks ago I had the back end slip out in a tight bend on a greasy damp morning. It wasn't real cold then but getting below 40 now and I know not to drive on the Z summer tires. Now I'm really regretting not getting a car with PSM.

I need it as a daily driver (in NJ) although can avoid driving it if I know its going to snow hard. I'm torn between:

1) investing in winter tires
2) selling it and buying another Boxter with PSM + winter tires
3) selling and getting a different all wheel drive car. 911 C4 ( but more $$$ and heavy back end??), Audi TT an option but just doesn't give the thrill of driving the Boxster does.

I love the car i have and don't want to part with it, but spooked now. Can anyone help me decide? Would winter tires be enough or is winter driving really out without PSM?

Thanks in advance

bmussatti 11-11-2007 04:21 PM

I think you will be just fine with a good set of winter tires. Dedicated winter rims would also be nice.

David N. 11-11-2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
I think you will be just fine with a good set of winter tires. Dedicated winter rims would also be nice.

Give that man a prize, he just saved you tens of thousands instead of buying a C4. Maybe at least a discount on his next AX;)

-David

svenscot 11-11-2007 05:13 PM

Thanks, are you speaking from experience?

rick3000 11-11-2007 05:46 PM

I don't have TC or PSM, and I plan on driving in the winter. I have got some good snow tires, and chains, so hopefully will not have any problems.

Just remember that those systems keep you on the road when you mess up, they don't do anything until then (That is my understanding of it). So if you don't try an make a sharp 50mph turn on an icey road you'll be fine. Plus, people drove just fine in snow for like 80+ years, before PSM, or TC so I wouldn't worry about it.
:cheers:

cfos 11-11-2007 05:58 PM

+1 on snow tires and, if possible, dedicated rims.

Pilot2519j 11-11-2007 06:03 PM

Get all weather set

I drive my car all year long, even in the snow! Best results as others have suggested is to get a dedicated set of all weather tires with rims thus once a year you swap all four tires. My dealer keeps and stores the tires for me and mounts them. Thats costs me $500/yr. If you have room and have another car to bring over to a station to change you can save that money.

Paul 11-11-2007 06:06 PM

I've been driving Porsches in the winter in the snow belt since 1974. All you need is 4 good winter tires.

Paul 11-11-2007 06:09 PM

BTW letting the back end step out is one of the joys of driving any performance car. If you haven't already, take your car to some autocrosses so you will be less concerned the next time it happens.

svenscot 11-11-2007 06:32 PM

Thanks a lot. I guess I'll look for tires and rims and take it from there. I've seen other posts confirming 17's for the Boxster S and for tires the Dunlop M2 or M3 getting better reviews than Blizzaks. M2 also approved on the Porshe tech bulletin (but not the M3...?) I think that even if I end up still wanting the All Wheel Drive on the C4, the winter wheels would be the same.

If anyone is selling the wheels I need please let me know!

Paul 11-11-2007 06:54 PM

Dunlop M3 winter sports are great tires any time the temp is below 50 degrees. They handle extremely well and are quiet. I almost hate taking them off in the Spring.

wild1poet2 11-12-2007 05:56 AM

The attorney in the building next door drives his Boxster all winter on a set of snow tires he had mounted up for him at Tire Rack. I've seen him out there in some hellacious road conditions up here in boston and he says he has no problems at all. On heavy snow days (eg; blizzard) he won't drive it mostly because of the limited ground clearance. But once the plows scrape the roads he's back out there. He did say he doesn't have any steep hills to traverse.

Mine stays in the garage most of the winter because I only have P Zero's on it but one of these days I think I'll spring for some snows just so I get a longer driving season. The thought of road salt on the body, rims and undercarriage does make me flinch.