Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2007, 11:25 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
Best prices on lights?

Anyone know where I can find the best prices on lights for my Boxster? I recently replaced my orange side markers with smoked side markers. I love how it looks with the Seal Grey paint. So I was looking into swapping out my third brake light for smoked, taillights for smoked and red and eventually my headlights with all clear (but those get really pricey) I want to get rid of the orange in all my lights. Should I jus hold out for a good price on Ebay?

Is there a clean way to strip the orange of my headlights?

Thanks!

02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #2

Same boat.

We share the same boat. Seal grey with smoked sidemarkers. Anyone??
HB986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:36 PM   #4

Many thanks!
HB986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Fleebay occasionally has good deals!
Old 11-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #6

http://www.maxspeed-motorsports.com/boxsterlight.html

This is the only place I could find the smoked third brake light
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
Old 11-11-2007, 09:26 PM   #7

Word of caution on the third brake light. I think some are clear or smoked with red LEDs, but I saw an eBay auction for a cheap one (less than the usual $99) that didn't have the red LEDs. I asked the seller about it and he confirmed that the light was just a clear third brake light cover for the standard bulbs stock on the Boxster. I'm pretty sure that a brake light that wouldn't shine red would not be considered "legal" in most states.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #8

bumperplugs actually has good prices on the 3rd brake light. their site sucks, but if you can find em, i think they're about $60. and are red led.

you can't strip out the amber from the headlights. you'll need to buy either clear halogens or litronics. (you replace the whole headlight housing).

typically, the clear halogens are about $550-$800 used. ebay, or here in the classifieds. renntech classifieds or 6speedonline classifieds. occasionally you can find them on craigslist.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:36 AM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
^ You can always spray tint the amber on the headlights black, or silver (or any color) like DJomlas, or PTeam.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:57 AM   #10

Is it that clear lenses will not fit on an amber housing? Or is it that the lenses are not available separately? Let's say my amber lens becomes damaged and I wanted to replace it with another amber, do I have to buy the whole headlight assembly?!
brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:22 AM   #11
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
^ The lenses are not available separately. You can either have clear headlights (halogens or litronics) with the clear turn signal. Or amber headlights that have the amber turn signal. The corner piece is either amber or clear and it is separate piece from the headlight assembly.

So yes, if the amber part of your headlight (except the corner that is a separate piece) becomes damaged you have to replace the entire headlight.

I hope this makes sense!
Old 11-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Word of caution on the third brake light. I think some are clear or smoked with red LEDs, but I saw an eBay auction for a cheap one (less than the usual $99) that didn't have the red LEDs. I asked the seller about it and he confirmed that the light was just a clear third brake light cover for the standard bulbs stock on the Boxster. I'm pretty sure that a brake light that wouldn't shine red would not be considered "legal" in most states.
That's a great price for the 3rd Brake light from Bumperplugs ($65.00) They offer in clear or smoked. And thanks for the heads up on the non-red LEDs!