986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   cracked bumper (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14147)

pteam 11-11-2007 08:41 AM

cracked bumper

Ok so driving back from Niagra falls weekend getaway with my girl for her birthday on the way home its dark out doing 75 on freeway. BAM big ass metal thing about 5 feet long in the middle of the highway. My front bumper hits it along with my right side tires. I had maybe half a second. Afterwards I see about 5 cars and a semi pulled over as if they hit it too. I get off next exit and a minivan pulls in behind me with part of his bumper hanging on the ground. "You hit that too?"

The bumper isnt that bad but its split and cracked, it could be repaired but I don't really want to do that.

Well my insurance deducatable is $500 . So my question is. If I claim this on insurance will they pay the regular amount for a new front bumper to me and if I decide to buy an aftermarket front bumper like a GT3 or something I can use the money towards that?

Anybody had experience with insurance companies like this? Should I get an estimate from a porsche dealer for a new front bumper and painting and show it ot them? What else should I be thinking of?

rick3000 11-11-2007 08:51 AM

That sucks!

It depends on your insurance. I would give them a call. Maybe they will send you a check to do it yourself. Then you can upgrade the bumper (GT3) on eBay for the price of an OEM through the dealer.
Which insurance do you have?
You might also, get your alignment checked, and check under the car for any damage.

Hope this Helps! :cheers:

blinkwatt 11-11-2007 08:52 AM

I think Stunin Stud was a selling a stock speed yellow Boxster S bumper,perhaps you could check into that.

AUDIOGUY 11-11-2007 09:31 AM

If you make a claim, they will pay you less the $500.00 deductible. You can then take the money and put it towards a different bumper if you wish. You would just need to find a shop willing to do the repairs and change out the bumper.

It is important for the insurance company to inspect the vehicle prior to repairs though. You can get an estimate from a dealer or reputable shop and when the adjuster comes to inspect the car give him or her a copy so that they have something to work with.

Best of luck!

NickCats 11-12-2007 06:29 AM

pteam,

Look at the bright side. At least you weren't in your lambo :eek:

Nick

Bambino Don 11-12-2007 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickCats
pteam,

Look at the bright side. At least you weren't in your lambo :eek:

Nick

Thats a point, ''Why weren't you in the Lambo''?? lol

pteam 11-12-2007 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bambino Don
Thats a point, ''Why weren't you in the Lambo''?? lol

Well theres no way I was taking the lambo on a 3-4 hour trip there and 3-4 hours back on which it partially rained both ways. Also I dont leave that car overnight anywhere except my garage. With freezing rain or snow now I'm lucky if I get to drive it one day a month. It was the porsche or the h2 and it was nice enough to take the porsche :)

pteam 11-16-2007 09:39 PM

blah I actually have a $1000 deductable and stupid progressive quoted me a refurbished bumper plus install and crap came to $1013 so its not even worth claiming it. Any suggestions? Anybody know of good bumpers for sale or slightly used, I seen a gt3 bumper on ebay for $799 but I'm pissed. I'm canceling progressive!

pteam 11-16-2007 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I think Stunin Stud was a selling a stock speed yellow Boxster S bumper,perhaps you could check into that.

yea that woulda been pimp for $300 but he already sold it, from the thread.

TriGem2k 11-16-2007 10:46 PM

PTeam,

Check with DPS Parts for the GT3 bumper. Should run you about 1300 painted from them.

EE3racing 11-17-2007 08:23 AM

I bought a GT3 because my car had spider cracks in the OEM unit from a parking lot. I was told by a competent body repair shop that refinishing a unit usually causes residual cracking problems.

yellowboxster01 11-17-2007 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xusmnimij
I was told by a competent body repair shop that refinishing a unit usually causes residual cracking problems.

We stitch up bumpers, bondo and paint them on a daily basis and haven't had a problem yet. Oh and we mainly work on German cars, every now and again an Italian slips in.

EE3racing 11-17-2007 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowboxster01
We stitch up bumpers, bondo and paint them on a daily basis and haven't had a problem yet. Oh and we mainly work on German cars, every now and again an Italian slips in.

Thats good to know, I'm happy with the replacement but I thought his answer seemed a bit radical considering only the glazing was cracked, the rest of the bumper cover was as new.