986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   20k service and oil change and windshield replacement -- general info. (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14127)

cfos 11-09-2007 08:44 AM

20k service and oil change and windshield replacement -- general info.

Thought I'd post this for those interested:

My car was at about 18500 miles and I wanted to get the oil changed and also replace the windshield. When I purchased the car new, the first recommended service was 2 years or 20k miles. Haven't done anything aside from adding washer fluid and happy to report I've had no problems.

According to the inspection report, I still had about 85% on most of the brake pads and the oil change was performed and no other problems reported (in a 2k6 boxster it ran about $270 -- originally, it was supposed to cost about $450 for the service plus the inspection). The windshield was another story. I had gotten a quarter-size crack from a rock when I hit 1200 miles and it had bothered me even though it had been "filled". Anyway, decided to replace it. Cost about $728. I didn't have many options, but when looking to replace it, the guy told me that there were about 4 different windshield options for this year and model. I was also told that there weren't many after-market windows available and that the price was reflective of that. I'm happy with my new windshield although it appears that it was made in the Czech Republic and I could have sworn the original came from Belgium. Can't say I know any difference.

rick3000 11-09-2007 08:55 AM

Seems like an okay price on the service.
The windshield price seems outrageous. I wouldn't pay $700, but that's life.
At least there were no major problems!
:cheers:

cfos 11-09-2007 09:32 AM

I was satisfied for the price for the service. As for the windshield, yeah it was steep, but I used it for my "birthday gift" and I just feel better not having to look at it.

bmussatti 11-09-2007 09:37 AM

Cfos, why did you wait soooo long to have the oil changed? You should have changed the oil at least once per year or every 7,500-10,000 miles.

I have roughly the same mileage as you, but my oil has been change 3 times already.

tomk17 11-09-2007 10:10 AM

20K Service

Didn't the dealer want to replace the cabin air filter (part of the 20K service) or the engine air filter? The engine air filter service interval says 40K so I agree, you may be fine.

RE the oil change and contrary to many people I don't see the need to do the oil change much earlier that you did. I may whimp out and do it at 15K but that's still under the factory recommendation AND at the Mobile 1 Extended Life oil life cycle.

cfos 11-09-2007 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
Cfos, why did you wait soooo long to have the oil changed? You should have changed the oil at least once per year or every 7,500-10,000 miles.

I have roughly the same mileage as you, but my oil has been change 3 times already.

That's what the dealer said and that was what was in the manual I used to pick out options. First oil change recommended by 2 years or 20K miles.

super66 11-09-2007 12:56 PM

I did my 20K mile service too.....first oil change and they told me my breaks were out.......I didn't let them change the pads or rotors even tho they siad they were shot.....

3000 miles later and 4 months and the sensor still hasn't gone off.....

cfos 11-09-2007 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomk17
Didn't the dealer want to replace the cabin air filter (part of the 20K service) or the engine air filter? The engine air filter service interval says 40K so I agree, you may be fine.

RE the oil change and contrary to many people I don't see the need to do the oil change much earlier that you did. I may whimp out and do it at 15K but that's still under the factory recommendation AND at the Mobile 1 Extended Life oil life cycle.

I don't have the invoice in front of me, but I know at least one of the filters was changed -- I don't recall all the info...

Perfectlap 11-09-2007 01:15 PM

well if you ever have change that windshield again call Autolite. Its a chain and they used OEM Sekurit glass from Belgium and charged me under $500 in about two hours. Just make sure you cover your center console and dash with a beach towel. The guy put a tiny cut on my dash which they offered to fix.

bmussatti 11-09-2007 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfos
That's what the dealer said and that was what was in the manual I used to pick out options. First oil change recommended by 2 years or 20K miles.

Cfos, do you lease the car or own it? The 20,000 mile recommendation is to maintain the warranty...not the logevity of the car.

super66 11-09-2007 01:45 PM

Quote:

Cfos, do you lease the car or own it? The 20,000 mile recommendation is to maintain the warranty...not the logevity of the car.

hey b - you think its bad to follow that guideline? personal preference? I own it and follow the manual....I know there was a thread on it and some people wanted NASA to test the oil :D

but seriously? I mean if they say 20K I drove it to 20K no prob

bmussatti 11-09-2007 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by super66
hey b - you think its bad to follow that guideline? personal preference? I own it and follow the manual....I know there was a thread on it and some people wanted NASA to test the oil :D

Hey Super, the dealership even says at least once per year regardless of miles. Going 20K miles in our cars, the way we drive and the demands we put on the car....no way am I going to wait that long.

Going over 10,000 miles just seems crazy to me.

Now, if someone was leasing the car, I could understand. But too bad for the next owner.

He is an interesting question. Why did Porsche change the service interval to 12,000 miles for the 2008 Boxster?

For me, an oil change is just "cheap" insurance. That, plus the feel good factor of fresh oil.

cfos 11-09-2007 02:06 PM

Quote:

Hey Super, the dealership even says at least once per year regardless of miles. Going 20K miles in our cars, the way we drive and the demands we put on the car....no way am I going to wait that long.

Going over 10,000 miles just seems crazy to me.

Now, if someone was leasing the car, I could understand. But too bad for the next owner.

He is an interesting question. Why did Porsche change the service interval to 12,000 miles for the 2008 Boxster?

For me, an oil change is just "cheap" insurance. That, plus the feel good factor of fresh oil.

Nope. Bought the car. I guess my dealership is different than yours. Likewise, I'm sure my driving style is also different than yours. To be honest, I'm likely going to keep the car for a few years and then trade it back to the dealership for something new. Haven't had any problems with it so far. Maybe I'm lucky.

I don't have an anser to your interesting question... maybe they changed it to make more money or the ease the minds of people disbelieving you can wait till 20k...? :D

cfos 11-09-2007 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
well if you ever have change that windshield again call Autolite. Its a chain and they used OEM Sekurit glass from Belgium and charged me under $500 in about two hours. Just make sure you cover your center console and dash with a beach towel. The guy put a tiny cut on my dash which they offered to fix.

The place I went with was called Alpine Glass (Utah) and they are the recommended service for windshield via the dealer. Granted, I haven't closely inspected the job, because I had to work, but I'm impressed with what I saw. Not sure how it would work with the place you recommend as I just made the appointment for the 20k service at the dealer and the Alpine Glass guy did the work out of the dealership and I had one bill to pay and I picked up the car the next day. While I'm all for saving some cash, I don't begrudge spending it to save time and for convenience (sp?).

rick3000 11-09-2007 03:41 PM

Quote:

I did my 20K mile service too.....first oil change and they told me my breaks were out.......I didn't let them change the pads or rotors even tho they siad they were shot.....

3000 miles later and 4 months and the sensor still hasn't gone off.....

Dang Stealerships! :mad: :mad: :mad:

(ON A HAPPIER NOTE! THIS MY 500TH POST!!! :dance: :dance: :dance: )

bmussatti 11-10-2007 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfos
Nope. Bought the car. I guess my dealership is different than yours. Likewise, I'm sure my driving style is also different than yours. To be honest, I'm likely going to keep the car for a few years and then trade it back to the dealership for something new. Haven't had any problems with it so far. Maybe I'm lucky.

I don't have an anser to your interesting question... maybe they changed it to make more money or the ease the minds of people disbelieving you can wait till 20k...? :D

Cfos, it has nothing to do with the dealership, I ask the dealership to change the oil, not the other way around.

And yes, I bet our driving styles are different. I drive the car once a week, usually for about 350-450 miles in that one drive. Pretty good for the oil, I'd say, but I still change it once per year, just prior to winter storage, or for me right between 7-10K miles.

bmussatti 11-10-2007 04:47 AM

Quote:

Super, one more bit of info. I have seen oil analysis done on the 987 Boxsters, and they also support the 7-10K oil change interval.

cfos 11-10-2007 04:32 PM

Quote:

Cfos, it has nothing to do with the dealership, I ask the dealership to change the oil, not the other way around.

And yes, I bet our driving styles are different. I drive the car once a week, usually for about 350-450 miles in that one drive. Pretty good for the oil, I'd say, but I still change it once per year, just prior to winter storage, or for me right between 7-10K miles.

True, I could change the oil more frequently, I suppose. Of course, you can find any number of data sets to back up one's ideology. Nevertheless, I am maintaining it as instructed by the dealer and having the service done at the dealer. I will, likely also trade it back in to the dealer for something else after owning it for a few years. According to the maintainence book, the dealers advice, etc., I have maintained the car accordingly. I use it as a daily driver (yes, even in the rain and snow -- although I did buy a set of Porsche rims and snow tires so not changing the oil isn't about the $) and probably don't hit the highway much. Thus far, no problems. Maybe I'm lucky or maybe the car is built that well. Honestly, I can't imagine that the owners maintenance manual (booklet) as well as the dealer provided booklet "The New Boxster" would state: Page 25: "Longer service intervals are nor only easier on resources, they also make good financial sense. Over the years, Porsche has consistently reduced its servicing requirements, as well as the number of tasks. On both the Boxster and Boxster S models, the intervals speak for themselves: engine oil every 20,000 miles (or two years), spark plugs every 60,000 miles (or four years), oil filter every 20,000 miles, and air filter every 40,000 miles. The brake fluid interval is two years, while the coolant is good for the life of the car. So you can enjoy your new Boxster for two years of 20,000 miles before you encounter your first regularly scheduled maintenance..." without thinking that it is possible.

Surely, there must have been a study conducted before coming up with those numbers, too. Obviously, there has been much on this thread and others regarding the time to change the oil -- about changing it after the first 1k miles or more frequently. I have owned my car since it had 7 miles on it and have been happy with it since. To each their own and may all the cars continue to perform.