Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2007, 02:10 PM   #1
Porschephile

Anyone have this rear spoiler?

Not a fan of 99% of the rear spoliers I've seen on our cars. I even dislike the one that comes withn the aero kit. I like the subtle look of the Caymans spoiler. Surfing around and found this one...

"Turbo Style" pop up rear spoiler

Anyone here installed this? High Quality or not? Price isn't bad for a painted piece.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #2
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomikaze
Not a fan of 99% of the rear spoliers I've seen on our cars. I even dislike the one that comes withn the aero kit. I like the subtle look of the Caymans spoiler. Surfing around and found this one...

"Turbo Style" pop up rear spoiler

Anyone here installed this? High Quality or not? Price isn't bad for a painted piece.
ISnt that the cayman style spoiler?
Old 11-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #3
Porschephile

Pretty close but I can't tell for sure from the fuzzy photos. Never ordered from 986online. Was hoping someone here had bought and installed this spoiler from them. Are you saying an OEM cayman spoler is bolt on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkboxster
ISnt that the cayman style spoiler?
Old 11-08-2007, 02:31 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
It's not OEM. It's styled similiar to the Cayman's but it's not the same. It's made out of cheap fiberglass. Some folks here have had issues with them flying off on the freeway. I've ordered from 986online.com before,not that spoiler though. Nice guys,kind of hick-ish but know their stuff.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
Porschephile

Anyone know if a Cayman spoiler will fit our cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
It's not OEM. It's styled similiar to the Cayman's but it's not the same. It's made out of cheap fiberglass. Some folks here have had issues with them flying off on the freeway. I've ordered from 986online.com before,not that spoiler though. Nice guys,kind of hick-ish but know their stuff.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
Porschephile

They also replied to an e-mail and told me they now have that spoiler in Carbon Fiber. Maybe a little stronger than the cheap fiberglass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Old 11-08-2007, 02:58 PM   #7

one member here bought similar to one you have posted last summer and I think he hasn't had any problem with it...

conrad..we need you here
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:59 PM   #8

I have one, but it wasn't from those guys. I would swear it is from RUF. I got it from one of the big mail order places, like Tweeks or something. I know...the useful information I'm giving you sucks. My point is that there are decent versions out there. If you like the style, look for the same spoiler from a reputable company.

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:11 PM   #9

***HIJACK THREAD ALERT****

Grizz...I've seen a lot of silver boxster but yours still looking good

Ok back to topic now....
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:11 PM   #10
Rennzenn

Garage
I've got that spoiler and it's turned out pretty well. When I first got it, the mounts cracked within three days. I e-mailed the seller and he suggested that I had overtightened the mounting screws, however he told me to return it and that he would repair or replace it. Within 2 weeks I had the spoiler back, good as new. I followed his instructions and was VERY gentle tightening up the spoiler. I also used a generous portion of locktite. After 6000+ miles and a season of auto-X, the spoiler is tight and there are no cracks. And it looks great. I'm certainly a satisfied customer.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:12 PM   #11

I have a artic silver one of those left over from my 986. If you need a silver one, i would sell it for $100 shipped to your door.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:33 PM   #12

That's a steal!

Oh, thanks, Unkle!
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 04:21 PM   #13
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I would buy a spoiler like that (maybe from P-DUB). They look good.
But I have stuck with the regular spoiler, because you can put a spoiler sticker on it. The spoiler stickers are just really cool looking.
Just my $0.02!
Old 11-09-2007, 06:59 AM   #14
Porschephile

Looking for more input on this. Spent a good deal of time looking around this morning for someone else selling this style spoiler. TechArt, Tweeks, Ruf... tried them all and more. Not seeing much else in this style. Anyone else know of another manufacturer of this piece? Just looking at all my options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
I have one, but it wasn't from those guys. I would swear it is from RUF. I got it from one of the big mail order places, like Tweeks or something. I know...the useful information I'm giving you sucks. My point is that there are decent versions out there. If you like the style, look for the same spoiler from a reputable company.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:07 AM   #15
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I do not know about different manufactures, but I have seen different prices.
Try google products. There are multiple small internet stores, with better prices than the mainstream websites. I have seen that spoiler before for, I think it was selling for $160, but I do not remember where.
Good Luck with the Hunt!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:31 AM   #16

Those spoilers have been a common item on eBay.

Here's the carbon fiber version for $329:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Boxster-CARBON-FIBER-rear-Wing-Spoiler-Turbo-Style_W0QQitemZ120180553233QQihZ002QQcategoryZ3363 8QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's the unpainted fiberglass version for $189:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Boxster-TurboStyle-rear-Wing-Spoiler-UNPAINTED-Bolt-On_W0QQitemZ120180553273QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33638QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I also have seen posts about the poor quality of these spoilers. One guy did report that his was cracked at the mounting points and then went missing (blew off) one day after a drive. Don't be fooled into thinking that the carbon fiber will be any stronger. The truth is that the manufacturers will cut corners to save costs on carbon fiber parts like this. It won't be 100% carbon fiber. It will be fiberglass, just like the regular product, with the very top layer done in carbon fiber. Just as with the fiberglass it will be fragile. I think the key is really mounting it properly. You'd have to be VERY careful not to overtighten the mounting bolts and use locktite to hold it there, like j.fro did. I'd check the bolts regularly too to make sure the don't vibrate off/loose. If you do that, then there shouldn't be a problem...

I'm strongly considering the carbon fiber version as I have a carbon fiber hood and also want to get Kokeln carbon fiber side vents (this is on an arctic silver car). Does anyone know if they make a carbon fiber spoiler in another style, besides the fat Porsche aero kit style? I prefer the style spoiler in this photo but have never seen it in carbon fiber:
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:42 AM   #17
Porschephile

Weird

I searched eBay and didn't find anything like this. My keywords were "boxster" "rear spoiler". Weird. Thanks for the link.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #18

I've had one on my '02 S for two summers. Quality appears good; no cracks, waves, etc. Came pre-finished very nicely. I like how it looks on the car and so must Porsche since they put a similar spoiler on the SE.

Last edited by jmatta; 11-15-2007 at 01:50 PM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:08 PM   #19

I bought the one off of e-bay and had mine on for several months before it cracked at the base. If you do an earlier search you will find my post about it. Taked to the guy who sold it to me and he said that they have been re-inforced at the base so it should no longer happen. I opted for a fixed spoiler from the same seller. He replaced my broken one for free and I sent him back the broken one. You can even see my rear he used to sell the fixed spoiler on e-bay. Eagle Day also sells the exact same spoiler. If I ever buy the Zeintop hardtop I will want this type of spoiler in combo with the hardtop because the hardtop requires you to remove the rear trunk lid which would in turn remove my fixed spoiler. So to answer your question, yes! It is a good manufacturer of that spoiler and should be fine to buy from them. Like I said Eagle Day also sells the same spoiler. http://eagleday.stores.yahoo.net/boae.html

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 11-15-2007 at 02:13 PM.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:18 AM   #20
HB.

I've been looking for a spoiler like this. Thanks guys for sharing your input. I do have a question, how do I find out my factory color code for my model?

HB. is offline   Reply With Quote