Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2007, 09:36 AM   #1

Pic of Sprt Steering Wheel?

I hate to beat a deadhorse (we've discussed this topic) but I am ordering an 08 Boxster S and want to see a pic of the $250 Sport Steering Wheel option - can anyone direct me to one? The Porsche web site's build section does not have a pic of it, just the standard/stock wheel. And my dealer did not have a car with it to see it in person.

Thanks in advance to whomever has one - you can email it to me @ robert.ziolkowski@us.army.mil

Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #2
bmussatti

Bob, here is an example:

A great way to see Porsches is by using the Porsche web site. Then go to "locate dealer". Then put in your state (or any other state) and then view the dealerships inventory. Many dealerships list photos.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:57 AM   #3
bmussatti

Here is the standard wheel:
Old 11-08-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
bmussatti

Here is a Carrera Red (new color name for 2008) Sport Wheel:
Old 11-08-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Go with the regular wheel, the upgraded one doesn't look that much better in my opinion.
Just my $0.02! Good Luck with the Decision!
Old 11-08-2007, 10:12 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
The sport one kinda looks funny IMHO. Stick with the standard.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #7

Thanks all! The standard one appears larger, which it is, and I remember the standard wheel in the 1987 911 Turbo I previously owned...the stock Boxster S wheel looks similiar. I actually replaced the Turbo's wheel with a Red & Black Momo so I am leaning toward the Sport wheel option.

By the way, I am ordering a Red Boxster S (actually ordered Monday but I can make changes for a little while) with Black interior and Red guage faces to add a splash of color.

I also selected the Sport Exhaust w/optional tips, 18" Cayman wheels, emblem delete (I am going to put the Black Boxster S emblem that comes on the Orange one on), Windstop/Deflector, and floor mats.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:37 AM   #8

PS - Too bad I could not order that Red Sport Wheel on my Black interior car.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:54 AM   #9

What about the other sport steering wheels? Like the leather one, thicker leather, and alcantara?
All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 11:00 AM   #10

The $250 Sport Wheel option matches the standard leather seats, etc. And the only way I could get a Red wheel was to get the full Red leather interior...too much Red for me.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:08 AM   #11

Get the Sports Steering Wheel!!! I don't have it and seriously regret it. It has very little cost but is thicker. The standard wheel is very thin.

I think there is also an option to make it thicker and another option to get it in alcantra, like the GT3.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #12
bmussatti

BobZ, your build for the new Boxster S sounds great!

Good job selecting the PSE.

Don't be so quick to put the "Boxster S" badge on the back trunk lid. Going "naked" is very cool. Adds a bit of mystery to the car...and is much easier to wash and wax. If you decide to get one, check out www.bumperplugs.com. A guards red one would be very cool too, if you really want a badge.

Are you sure about black leather interior in sunny Florida? It's gonna be hot hot hot! Sand beige looks awesome with the guards red. The cocoa leather is also very nice if you want something dark.

One more bit of advice. RejeX wax looks amazing on guards red! You should try it. Do it within the first couple days of ownership. I competed in a few Concours events last year, and this one Boxster owner used the RejeX on his GR Boxster, and it looked really-really good.

Bob, are you having the roll bar painted red? Have you considered the red seat belts?

I love spending other people's money!
Old 11-08-2007, 02:32 PM   #13
bmussatti

Bob, one more thing! Can I spend another $290 of your (our) money?

Get the painted Gear Lever Trim in Exterior Color (guards red). This is code CDJ (page 19). Very cool. Here is an example of the Limited Edition in orange:
Old 11-08-2007, 06:24 PM   #14

I got the sport wheel for $250 and I don't regret it; I prefer it's design, I like having the thicker areas at 10 and 2, though I'm not sure the ret of the $250 upgrade wheel is any thicker than the stocker. I do think it's a smaller diameter though, but that info is on the website and in the brochure. I think the one in the 997 with the garish all red interior is a more expensive upgraded wheel that is thicker too.
John Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:49 PM   #15

it is just me or is the sport steering wheel's 10 and 2 thickness increases the way our old 986's came standard?
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:37 AM   #16

I like the console surround...might add a splash of Red in the interior and go with the Red guages. And I am sticking with Black interior - Red & Black is my favorite combo (same as the '87 911 Turbo I had as well as 3 of the 6 Vipers I've owned).

If anyone has a pic of the Black $250 option Sport Steering wheel please post it!
Old 11-09-2007, 06:19 AM   #17
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I've driven the 987 and 997 cars with and without the sport wheel, and think it is worth it to upgrade to the sport wheel because the standard wheel is waaaay too thin.... even thinner than my 986 3-spoke wheel. I would not want to order a newer 987 without the sport steering wheel.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:00 AM   #18
bmussatti

Here is the black:
Old 11-09-2007, 08:23 AM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Bambino Don
That Carrera red interior looks really smart, on a white or black Box it would look amazing.

My dad has the Sport steering wheel in his Cayman it is smart, really feels solid.

I would get the creme interior with the red exterior,, really would be 80's Ferrari -tastic.

James
00 Audi TT 180 coupe
02 DC5 Honda Integra typeR
01 Alfa Romeo spider 3.0 V6
01 Honda s2000
03 Audi TT Roadster 225
02 Porsche Boxster S silver/red Rolling on 19's
Now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../mycayman1.jpg

07 Cayman Guards Red/black on 19's
Bambino Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:08 AM   #20

It baffles me as to why I cannot order a Red Sport Steering wheel with the Black standard interior...Porshe claims that customers can personalize their cars and what I want would simply require to reach into a different bin!