Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2007, 05:05 PM   #1

RPM Question

I have a 99 Box with Tiptronic (I know, wife required the auto). Anyway, redline is 6600 and was wondering what is considered pushing it a bit too hard? It seems like it's really winding out by 4,500-5,000. Can I safely run the lower gears up to 5,500-6,000 without worrying about something blowing up? Does it make a difference if it's in auto or "manual" mode? I want to drive it a bit harder, but first wanted opinions since I'm fairly new to the Boxster. Thanks in advance for not shooting the Tiptronic guy!

PhxRealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:22 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
The 2.5L is best from 4-6k(from what I remember).

Are you behind on maintenance? When's the last time you changed the oil,air filter + spark plugs?

You should be able to drive it up to redline without worrying about anything,although I wouldn't recommend that. Just ride her when you feel like it,you didn't buy a Porsche only to drive it like a Camry.

Perhaps uklekraker can chime in,he's pretty darn fast with 2.5L tiptronic from what I hear. He could tell you what's best for the tiptronic set up.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:33 PM   #3
blkboxster

I redline alot!!!!! i mean alot, and have no problems with my 2.5. the 2.5 is only good at 4000 rpm and beyond i dont think it would make a diffrence but i have a 5spd

Last edited by blkboxster; 11-07-2007 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:41 PM   #4

I would like to know how you can get into the rev limiter with a tiptronic transmission.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I think the tip. shows RPM, but you can also get other readings like the RPM through the AC's secret controls.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants
I would like to know how you can get into the rev limiter with a tiptronic transmission.
TP, I have a related question that you/someone may be able to answer. What is the difference between Stage 1 and Stage 2 ignitions? I know the latter is bad, but how do those two translate in terms of rpms?
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:19 PM   #7

Since I have the same thing as yours, 99 Arena Red TIPTRONIC, I think I'll be comfortable enough to give my input in this thread with out being a poser...hehehehehehe@ j/k

Okay, my experience with Tip is pretty good especially on AX since I don't have to worry about changing gear..all I need to do is put it in M Mode *flame suit on* I know I'm lazy

I don't think you could red line the Tip coz' once it reach 6600 rpm...it change gear by itself...

It's very rare for me to use it in D mode..it's always in the M mode and wifey hates it coz' I always "Thumb Shift" on 4500rpm and loving it everytime i enter the freeway...

the way I drive....so far no problem that my local mechanic guy have seen in the tranny

I use Left thumb for Down shifting it and Right thumb for Upshift...

BTW...congrats on your new ride and post pix
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:42 PM   #8

I am almost positive this is your car.

Good boy....
Old 11-07-2007, 09:03 PM   #9

hahahaha...i remember when you took that picture...you almost scratch your head when you saw it
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklekraker
hahahaha...i remember when you took that picture...you almost scratch your head when you saw it
I'd like to see if the numbers still match up after all your AX

Btw, I unearthed this thread on renntech discussing the ignitions, with informative posts by TP, as usual:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=9769
bigb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:40 AM   #11

Speaking of autocross.

This is Calvin's 1997 pastel yellow, 5 speed manual. I took this last year just before he sold the car.

Calvin was an autocross junkie.

Told Calvin he needed to learn how to shift....

But with a 2.5 he needed to keep the rpms way up or he would lose speed.