Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 10:57 AM   #1

Winter Usage/Storage

I bought my '99 986 in Agust just in time for the end of summer and fall driving. Now it is getting colder (northern NJ). Originally my plan had been to simply store in my garage through the winter. I definitely don't plan on driving it during inclement weather. For me the fun of it is top down cruising on sunny spring/summer/fall days. I really didn't plan on driving it during the winter at all.

Everything I have read about winter storage (draining fluids, trickle chargers, putting it on blocks, etc) seemed to be a monumental PITA. The guys at Autosport Performance suggested rather than doing that to just take it out once a week or so, get it warmed up and then take it out on the highway and run it at speed for a few exits and then put it back in the garage. Also this way when the rare warm winter day rolls around I can take it out instead of just looking at it and wishing it weren't up on blocks.

Any thoughts?

NJkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:06 AM   #2
bmussatti

NJkayaker, don't drive it. Read this old thread. Great advice. Use the "search" function. You will find a ton of great advice about Winter Storage/Hybernation.

http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7567&highlight=winter+storage
Old 11-06-2007, 11:41 AM   #3

re; Don't Drive It

I shouldn't drive it even if I am going to take it out and really drive it?

I am not talking about just turning it on and letting it sit (even I know that is bad). I am thinking once (twice?) a week turning it on driving it around the neighborhood to warm it up and then taking it out and running it ten miles out and ten back at highway speeds.

I was thinking that this would keep the battery in shape, move everything around, get fluids moving and burn off the "bad" stuff. Maybe I am wrong. thanks for the help and any clarification.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:48 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJkayaker
I shouldn't drive it even if I am going to take it out and really drive it?

I am not talking about just turning it on and letting it sit (even I know that is bad). I am thinking once (twice?) a week turning it on driving it around the neighborhood to warm it up and then taking it out and running it ten miles out and ten back at highway speeds.

I was thinking that this would keep the battery in shape, move everything around, get fluids moving and burn off the "bad" stuff. Maybe I am wrong. thanks for the help and any clarification.

that seems like a bigger PITA than jsut simply prepping it for winter storage.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:04 PM   #5

Talking Winter Driving

Yeah, but then I get to drive it..

In any case, gives me something to think about. Thanks for the help.

Any other opinios would be welcome. Maybe it will stay warm all winter
Old 11-06-2007, 12:06 PM   #6

Store it and don't start it.

The process to get it ready 'seems' bad, but it is really very easy once you have done it.

Also, if you feel lazy many Porsche dealers offer a 'hibernation' package and they do it all for you. Then you just park it and hook it up to the battery maintainer.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:21 PM   #7

Just put some snows on and drive it all winter... with a good set of snows the cars are very good in the winter, and if its really crappy out just leave it home that day!

Just be sure to spray the salt off the car a few times a week.
mdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:33 PM   #8
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I agree the winter storage preparation and stuff can be overwhelming and ridiculous, but if your going to store the car you might as well do it properly.

I am just going to drive mine all winter, and if you can commit to driving it once a week then do that.
But driving it once a week or more should consist of at least 30-ish miles. Don't say you will drive then, never drive it, that will hurt the car.
You are probably better off just storing it because you may not get good driving days every week and you will need all-season or snows to driving in 40 degree or lower weather.
Just my $0.02!
Old 11-06-2007, 12:35 PM   #9

back in January we had a 70 degree day. And guess who was driving with the top down? ME.
I put on Snow tires after Thanksgiving and then go back to to summers tires in May. I only drive the car on weekends really.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:23 PM   #10
bmussatti

Don't drive the Boxster during the winter, instead, drive around like this:
Old 11-06-2007, 03:28 PM   #11

Unless the weather is so bad where you live that you can't drive it during the winter, I would not store it. Taking the car out once a week for a nice drive will not harm the car any more than taking it out on a daily basis. You need to bring the car up to temperature, however, and drive it. If you store it you lose any chance of driving it on that rare winter day that it is warm enough to go top down( with heater and heated seat naturally).

02 Boxster S
Lapis Blue
tombea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:42 PM   #12

Since I have no garage, I plan on driving mine through the winter. Winter storage really does seem like a PITA and made the decision much easier. I won't use it any more than once per week or so, and I have no plans to drive it in the snow or when the roads were recently salted - not that the salt matters that much.

Fortunately, I have all seasons so once a weekish I'll turn her on and give her 20 or so miles.
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:15 PM   #13

I'm in the garage storage camp - all I do is cover the car and maintain the battery. A couple of times last winter I got the itch to "exercise", but here in Pennsylvania they dump rocks and slag and other stuff on the road for traction, and I picked up an alarming number of stone chips just one time out. So, I'll be patient this year and wait until the rain has washed away the beasties.
pauldee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #14

Drive it.. Drive it.. Split the middle.. Don't drive it with snow/salt on the ground but do use it a few times a month. Its a nice escape. Heck, down here near DC last winter there were at least 10-15 days of top down driveable weather (ie above 60 degrees) between November and March and another 10-15 of "top up" but still nice driveable weather as well.. Thats 30 days right there! A '99 Boxster won't depriciate much more anyway, so you may as well enjoy it.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 05:50 PM   #15

I Drive Mine Every 2 Weeks

Last year (first year of ownership) I kept mine in the garage, trickle charger on, and did not let it sit more that 2 weeks. Took it on the 35 mile round trip to work or another similiar trip for the "work out". This worked great for me. Started perfectly every time and ran like a top.
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8...rivewayic1.jpg
tomk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:02 PM   #16

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
if youre gonna drive it once a week or so, thats sometimes more than what some people drive their boxsters on regular bases, only on Fridays and weekends.
so in reality they all should winterize all year long.
just dont do anything, take it out once in a while and it will be fine, no need for all that random winterizing talk anyways.

also, when its winter, theres snow on the ground only a few days, or hours here in chicago, so i get to drive it year round.
i like to keep my car clean, so it gets washed often, and im not concerned about salt or anything else like that.

im actually lowering my car this weekend, perfect for the upcoming winter
(much better than last years summer only tires experience )
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 11:22 PM   #17
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
^ I look forward to seeing the lowered car, but I do not not understand how it help with snow clearance.
Also, a little known fact is that all Boxster have a galvanized body and 10 year rust-free guarantee from Porsche.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:34 AM   #18

A little dirty from the drive into the office this morning... but as you can see I have the snows on and am ready for winter driving fun!

Marc
mdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:53 AM   #19
1JB

You don't have to drive it and you don't have to do much prep work for winter storage. Draining the fluids, removing the battery, etc. is for long term storage 3 months or more without so much as touching the car, you could go 6 months doing nothing to it. Take a look some of the cars sitting on dealers lots for six months. You're talking about not driving it for maybe 2 months at most. You'll get a good day in December and at least one if not more in March.

Last winter mine sat for 6 weeks without turning the ignitiion over. I simply put a Porsche battery maintainer on it, had a full tank of gas in it,"decassant" bags or whatever they're called on the floor of the cabin and trunks, parked it on some old carpet pieces, inflated the tires to 50#s and put a cover on it. Other than cleaning it thoroughly inside and out that was it. The only thing that took any time was inflating the tires.

Like you I only bought mine to drive when I can put the top down. I've yet to drive it in the rain and don't drive it in the winter because it's just to cold and I don't want road salt on it. Of all the things you need to do to store it in a garage the battery maintainer is at the top of the list. Carpet squares and high inflation ward off flat spots but heck you may not get those for 6 weeks either.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:44 AM   #20
bmussatti

I agree with 1JB, Winter Storage is very-very easy and not time consuming.

1) Wash and detail the car
2) Add fuel stabilizer
3) Top of gas tank
4) Over fill tires with Nitrogen
5) Lay down plastic tarp
6) Set down hard rubber parking pads (rubber tiles you see in a weight room- buy at Lowes)
7) Park car, block wheels
8) Plug in Porsche battery maintainer
9) Put dessicators in the car
10) Lock car
11) Put Porsche car cover on
12) Close garage door
13) 1st of every month roll car by hand about 12 inches to help prevent flatspotting
14) In March/April put in 5th gear and roll down driveway to get engine to turn over
15) Put key in and start engine
16) Go on a 300-400 road trip and get fresh gas

Steps 2-12 take me less than 1 hour! Winter storage done.