Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2007, 08:40 PM   #1

Just got a new Boxster S Limited Edition (I Hope)

Hey guys,
I am fairly new to the world of Porsche. I picked up a Jag XJ Super V8 about 3 years ago after having a terrible time with a MB CLK-430. I loved the Jag, just never felt like it had any real get up and go.... About 6 weeks ago I got rear ended in the Jag and decided it was maybe time to move on. My wife suggested I go look at some Porsches since she saw me drooling over 911's every time I saw them drive by this past summer.

I stopped by the local dealer and was leaning towards a yellow cayman s....that was... until I spotted a GT orange Limited Edition Boxster S sitting up the driveway. I ran over and my sales person told me it was a special order and was being picked up later that week. I sighed and moved back to the yellow cayman. I held off purchasing the cayman because it didnt have all the options I was looking for, and figured I would take my time and build one from the ground up. I spent the next several days picking out options and the like... when today as I was getting ready to take the kids out trick-or-treating my cell phones rings, its my sales person Lori... she tells me the person who special ordered the Orange Boxster S changed his mind. I stuck my head out the window and told my wife about the call and she looked at me and said, "Honey that car is HOT, go buy it!". I said to myself, "what an awesome woman", called the dealer back and gave her my CC number for a deposit.

I am going up tomorrow am to test drive the lil devil and hopefully will be bringing her home shortly!!!!

ps. I can only imagine what the wife figures she can parlay out of the "go buy your Porsche" chip she's now holding!

Bobby Carbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:30 AM   #2

Sweet! You will love it. Does it have any orange accents in the interior? You'll have to post some pics.

As a new Boxster owner I would review some of the old posts in this forum or do some searches because there is very good information available.

Next up, join your local PCA (wonderful organization) and get that car to a driving school.

Regarding your wife holding the 'chip' . You are correct on that. Everytime I question a purchase my wife makes she just says 'Porsche' and I have to cave in.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:38 AM   #3
bmussatti

Very cool. Good story. Congrats on the new car.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:11 AM   #4

Very cool, its hard to imagine an exchange like that after what I had to go through to get my 6-year-old boxster into our garage, I did not know that they made wives like that....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:00 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Kick @ss! Post up some pictures. That orange is a great color.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 06:16 AM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Excellent! The same color car is sitting on a pedestal at our local dealership and I have to wipe the drool off my chin off every time I drive by. Enjoy! Oh, and about your wife holding a Porsche chip? Rest assured, she will draw it like a gun.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:02 AM   #7

After 2 years , 15000 miles, 4 oil consumption tests, 14 quarts of oil , engine replacement and winning my suit against MB for a bad SLK 350, my wife said "Now can we get the 9897S?". Wives like ours are priceless. Of course there was about $10K in jewelry involved.
raddoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:21 AM   #8

Ha ha raddoc, Yes I think she has her eyes on a pair of Louis Vuitton boots and been hinting at another baby as well... but...ffs... we already have six little ones!!!!

I keep telling her the porsche is to aid in my speedy escape from the madness at our house!

I am heading over to the dealer now, I hope it doesn't rain
Old 11-01-2007, 07:31 AM   #9

6 little ones....

heck you NEED a Boxster just to keep your sanity.
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 07:39 AM   #10

raddoc, by the way, my CLK required over 14k worth of repairs in the year that I had it. I even blew the rear end when she had 3k miles!!!! What a pile of junk that car was! It swayed me from buying the SLK when it came out.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
...I did not know that they made wives like that....
Custom fabrication one-off. I bet she's a knockout beauty as well. Just makes sense that if you're gonna fabricate the perfect wife that says, "Please go buy that brand new Porsche" you might as well make her a hottie while you're at it.

My wife told me I could buy any car I wanted, even a Carrera GT, as long as I saved up the cash for it in advance...

and that's why I drive an 11 year old boxster!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:57 AM   #12

the orange is a sharp boxster congrats! no more MB horror stories! my dad just picked up the new C350......its pretty impressive.....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:15 PM   #13

Ok guys, I hoping some of you can help me out as I have never negotiated a great price when buying a new car. The MSRP is:
  • Base Price: 59,000
  • PCM 2.1 w/ extended nav: 3,110
  • Xenon Headlights: 1,090
  • Heated Front Seats: 500
  • Windstop: 375
  • Sport Chrono: 960
  • Bose High End Stereo: 950
  • Floor Mats: 90
  • Destination Charge: 860
  • Total Price: 67,835

I was thinking of asking 8% off of the Total Price..... Thoughts, Suggestions?
Old 11-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #14

Ask for 12% off the car, settle for 8% off MSRP plus a 2 year warranty extension at no extra charge. This would cost you thousands more, but doesn't cost them nearly as much because they markup all the extended warranties they sell.

As a general rule of thumb, I always hammer the sales manager or the finance manager — after the deal is considered done on their end — for things that don't cost them what I would pay retail for at the dealership (extended warranties, free oil changes, paid maintenance intervals, floor mats, a cap, a shirt, or whatever you want that you know they don't pay much for but charge you out the yingyang to get.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 11-01-2007 at 01:00 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #15

Your ability to negotiate is largely based on region and your local competition. In Minneapolis most people end up paying pretty close to MSRP (two dealers, same owner). You have seasonality in your favor but I'm not sure if the special edition status of the car impacts their flexibility in price. Is there high demand for that car??

Just some thoughts.

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:55 PM   #16

The best I could do was 10% off, at 2 area dealers, and another was at 9.5% off. And that was on a 2008 order.
Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:20 PM   #17
bmussatti

Bobby, well, Porsche only made 250 of those in the "S" (another 250 in the base). They are near the end of the selling season for a convert's. I am sure you can get 5-8% off. I don't think you will get more than 10% off unless the car was still sitting around in March of 2008.

So, I would say 8-10% off MSRP would be a good deal. Having "Walking Power" will be your best negotiation tool.

Good luck!
Old 11-01-2007, 01:23 PM   #18
bmussatti

Bobby, does it have PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) as part of the Limited Edition option package?
Old 11-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #19

Here are some photos of the car:

Click here

I dont know about the sport exhaust. I heard her mention it, but dont see it on the window sticker. I can say it sounded awesome today when I was driving it with the top down!

Last edited by Bobby Carbn; 11-01-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 01:37 PM   #20

bobby,

looks like you purchased from Schneider-Nelsen...

i picked up a CPO boxster there two weeks ago....very good dealership IMO...

best of luck with the car...great choice

peakpro is offline   Reply With Quote