986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Convertible top frame repair... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13995)

Robster 11-01-2007 07:09 PM

Convertible top frame repair...

I just took my car to the Stealership for an inspection and to get the parts fixed that seem to always break on a Boxster (horn and ignition switch). My top seemed to work fine when I took it in, but they called and said the whole cage or frame needs to be replaced at a cost of $4000.
My car is a 97 with 30,000 miles. $4000 to fix a top is robbery, especially when it worked when I took it in.
Does anyone know of a good top repair place in Dallas, TX?
At $4k I could afford virtually every hard top made. If that's what it's going to cost, I'll just switch to removable hardtop.

Padawan 11-01-2007 07:25 PM

What exactly did they say the "problem" was?

Robster 11-04-2007 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Padawan
What exactly did they say the "problem" was?

The main bow is broken. Actually it is the little ball joint that is broken off on one side. They said it cant be welded. I found an intact top and frame on ebay for 995. and may buy that to put on it. Guess it would be a good time to buy a hard top. I've been thinking about that too.

blue2000s 11-04-2007 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robster
The main bow is broken. Actually it is the little ball joint that is broken off on one side. They said it cant be welded. I found an intact top and frame on ebay for 995. and may buy that to put on it. Guess it would be a good time to buy a hard top. I've been thinking about that too.

I've had dealers tell me things are broken and need replacement where the parts were actually working fine. Get the car back and make sure it's actually broken before you buy any replacement parts.

rick3000 11-04-2007 06:38 AM

I agree, check it out yourself. Maybe they broke it, maybe there lying, maybe you'll show up and they will say, "Oh, we got you confused with that other guy that has the broken top, sorry we almost charged you $4k."

On the bright side, if it is broken just get a hardtop for $2k or less, and since they can be removed in under 5 minutes with two people, you can have the best of both worlds.
But I am sure that a private mechanic can fix it cheaper than $4k.

Robster 11-04-2007 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick3000
I agree, check it out yourself. Maybe they broke it, maybe there lying, maybe you'll show up and they will say, "Oh, we got you confused with that other guy that has the broken top, sorry we almost charged you $4k."

On the bright side, if it is broken just get a hardtop for $2k or less, and since they can be removed in under 5 minutes with two people, you can have the best of both worlds.
But I am sure that a private mechanic can fix it cheaper than $4k.

I'm a bit distrustful of the Stealership, but the mechanic showed me the broken part. He was actually a pretty nice guy, and he said he wouldn't have it fixed there, and suggested I find a used top on Ebay to scavenge the frame. But like you pointed out, it's the perfect time to get a hardtop. Just need to find one in Guards Red.....