986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Just test drove a boxster and dont know what to do! (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13993)

gtokars@gmail.com 11-01-2007 05:10 PM

Just test drove a boxster and dont know what to do!

I am in the market for a boxster and just test drove a 2002 boxster S with 21,000 miles. The test drive was awesome. The leather and soft top were in good condition and it drove really well. There were a couple problems. I noticed that the left sideview mirror didnt go up and down, just side to side but the right sideview mirror worked in all directions. Also when I stopped the car, I noticed that the retractable rear spoiler(sorry I dont know what the formal name is) was still up. It went down after pressing the manual retracting button, but my understanding was that it goes up while driving fast and goes down afterward. Should this be a deal breaker? Could this be a sign of more expensive electrical problems? Anyone have any idea how much these things would cost to fix?Unforunately there is no porsche dealer within 50 miles of this used car dealership so it may be difficult to have a dealer look at it. There is a mechanic in town locally where the porsche is being sold that is AAA recomended and has experience with some porsche issues. . I also don't live in an area where there are plenty of used boxsters to choose from(I had to drive 5 hours to test drive this one) so I can't be super picky. The price is right(25k), so does anyone have any words of wisdom?

Thanks,
Greg

bmussatti 11-01-2007 05:14 PM

Greg, don't buy it without a Pre Purchase Inspection (PPI). You need to find a local indy shop. Where did the current owner service the car?

boxstershorts 11-01-2007 05:30 PM

The mirror thing must be more of a design issue. Even the owner's manual says that if the mirror doesn't move using the button, to move it with your hand. It's like the motors are at their end of travel and moving the mirror back by hand somehow resets it.

Not a dealbreaker but who says you can't use it as a negotiation issue.

PPI is critical.
Get a CARFAX to begin with. If there are no show stoppers maybe a local independant inspection.
If there are still no show stoppers, then enjoy the ride to the dealership for the PPI.
Don't let distance stop you. I bought my Box from an 18 hour car drive away and that didn't stop me.

fatmike 11-01-2007 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtokars@gmail.com
There is a mechanic in town locally where the porsche is being sold that is AAA recomended and has experience with some porsche issues. . .

3 in a row -- get a PPI, and not from this guy!

Do a google search for Mike Focke's web site on buying a Boxster. There is a huge amount of valuable information there.

fatmike 11-01-2007 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtokars@gmail.com
The price is right(25k)

Also, if the car is in good shape, has a few good options and is mechanically sound (get the PPI), then you can feel very good about this deal!

blinkwatt 11-01-2007 05:51 PM

I'm all for PPIs but NOT from dealerships.........

-I was charged $350 w/o a compression test. They told me, "if you want a compression test the car isn't worth it",what type of answer is that?

-They didn't detect that my tires are getting low on tread(Even Pedros and Indy shops go that far into detail)

Just find a good indy shop. Good Luck!

I don't want to scare you with this but it seems as if the 3.2L engine is prone to IMS failures. They normally occur before 40k. Just something to consider if you aren't getting a warranty.

mikefocke 11-01-2007 07:01 PM

Where in NC are you/the car located?

If you have never owned a Boxster before, do you have a friend who can do a quick once over on the car?

There are hundreds of Boxsters for sale and as it is starting to get cold here (I live in Sanford, south of Raleigh) you may be the only potential Buyer the seller has. I wouldn't pay $25k for an '02S right now unless it was absolutely perfect.

Start your reading here

If the car is anywhere near....I might be able to help you.

gtokars@gmail.com 11-02-2007 08:58 AM

thanks

Thanks for the replies. There apparently is a mechanic in town that has experience with boxsters that I might have take a look at it. Is there any reason why this would be a bad idea? Thanks for the offer, MF, I live in Morehead City on the coast, about 3 hour east of raleigh. Are there any local papers I should look in or other resources other than cars.com or autotrader?

Jump 11-02-2007 03:14 PM

[QUOTE=mikefocke]I wouldn't pay $25k for an '02S right now unless it was absolutely perfect.
QUOTE]

Wow, that is interesting. Scary that someone would make that remark here as it devalues all of our cars! I have an '02S with 11k that is "absolutely perfect". What would you pay for it?

Based on that statement, is it worth buying a Boxster? I'd like to hear others responses so potential buyers who read this don't undercut my asking price (not that I plan on selling any time soon). Kelly places it at around 32k based on my options. Sorry Mike but it just isn't good when someone who is recognized in a thread as a resource for buying a used Boxster undercuts the value of our cars.

rick3000 11-02-2007 03:18 PM

Take the car to a PPI. Find out what the window problem is, see it can be fixed by simply pulling it up with your hand but don't fix it. It will be a good point to get money off, and the spoiler could be a simple electical problem, but don't quote me on that.
Then offer the guy less. With the economy slowing down in general right know, you can probably get it cheaper llike $22k or less, or have the guy pay to fix it before you buy it, and get it for $22k or less depending on repair costs.

fatmike 11-02-2007 04:16 PM

Definitely negotiate and try to get the best price you can. This is a good time of year to buy a rag-top, so use that to your advantage. I suspect that is the gist of some of the earlier posts.

But keep in mind that an '02 S with low miles is a very desirable car. Especially if it has the "important" options. Does it have PSM? How about Litronics? Litronics were standard on the second half of the model year. Do your homework and know what your buying.

Excellence magazine published this range for an '02S (value in 2007):

low 20195 high 30738

You need to decide where this car with 21K miles fall in this range. What if it has litronics, PSM, low miles, impeccable sheetmetal, good tires, nice softtop/rear window, full service records, etc.? Well, you get the idea.

Check out this link for some specific example of what folks are paying:

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12310&highlight=excellence

Perfectlap 11-02-2007 04:54 PM

Porsche fever can kill you...

taker your TIME...lots of garage queens out there. And be willing to travel to see a car that you have pre-arranged a PPI for. Shipping a clean bill of health Boxster can cost less than $1000 after you have kicked the tires and gone back home on the plane.
Buying the first Boxster you see is like buying the first house you look at. $20-25K is allot of money...

funster 11-04-2007 07:25 PM

I have a 2002 boxster S that I love. I Don't think that the price is bad, especially if it's a really nice car. Just make sure that the issues are fixed. If it's not the right car you'll find the one. Don't take too much time, life is short, and drive it home, what a great way to get acquainted with your new car. Make sure to take some fun roads along the way, It can be a great adventure. That's how I bought my car, and I'd do it all over again

David N. 11-04-2007 11:13 PM

Engine failure is a big concern for cars with less than 20 or 30k miles. If the engine has not been rebuilt or replaced, I would absolutely be sure you are still getting coverage from the original or a CPO warranty, or are prepared to get an independent one (like Warranty Direct).

You have to be wary with lower mileage garage queens, because IMS or other engine failures are more likely to pop up before 30k or so, and the killer is an older Boxster that is no longer covered by any warranty when you eventually hit a point where the engine could have troubles (not that it will, but if it does..)

-David

rick3000 11-05-2007 05:21 AM

^ I agree, a warranty is something to seriously consider in older Boxsters that have not passed 30k miles, because they are more prone to engine failure. But if you absolutely have to have the car and it doesn't have a warranty, just get a good PPI, and then watch carefully. You can spot RMS and other problems a head of time if you are observant. Like oil dripping as a precursor to RMS.
I purchased an 8 year old, 17k mile garage queen, and the main thing to look at are the seals. If the car just sat around for a long time, the fuel lines, etc. will dry up and have stuff crystalize in them. That is why I got a warranty to 54k miles. Once you pass 30k you are normally safe with a Boxster, and after-market warranties are not to expensive, mine has already saved me $5k.
Just y $0.02! :cheers: