986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Opinion - Flat Black Hardtop on my Basalt Black Box? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13991)

fatmike 11-01-2007 03:40 PM

Opinion - Flat Black Hardtop on my Basalt Black Box?

What do you think? Will it look OK -- or funky?

I am going to buy a flat black hardtop for my Basalt Black (metallic) Box, in part because its the only hardtop I can find and its its in good shape. What do you all think?

I figure in the winter once the car gets a little dirty -- who could ever tell...

jwilson95 11-01-2007 03:49 PM

FM-

probably won't be bad and if it is more function than beauty, then who cares anyway?

If I was in NJ, I certainly would be more interested in being warm than worrying about other people!

bmussatti 11-01-2007 03:55 PM

Don't you need a clear coat (gloss) to help shed the water, salt, dirt and other road grime?

fatmike 11-01-2007 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
Don't you need a clear coat (gloss) to help shed the water, salt, dirt and other road grime?

The hardtop is a late 90's model that has a jet (flat) black paint. It still has a clearcoat. My car is black metallic (basalt black). The basalt has a silvery metallic glitter in the paint.

There is a very subtle difference in the paint, but its particularly noticeable when they are next to each other...

edevlin 11-01-2007 04:28 PM

I suspect flat black will look a lot like all those black canvas tops on most of our boxsters, should be fine.

Ed

:cheers:

nola911 11-01-2007 04:56 PM

Correct me if I am wrong, but you are trying to say "black," as opposed to metallic (with sparkles) and flat black (chalky not smooth surface with no gloss). There was a guy in TX that had a metallic black hardtop for sale not long ago. I didn't buy it because I didn't like the contrast with my black paint.

blinkwatt 11-01-2007 05:53 PM

I heard paint w/o clear coat allows the metal that's painted to rust.

nickg 11-01-2007 06:40 PM

check your hearing...it's wrong

David N. 11-01-2007 10:28 PM

The top will almost look like a real canvas top next to your paint, but not quite. If you are really concerned about the look, it might be kinda weird. But if not, just go for it (if it's a good deal).

fatmike 11-02-2007 06:39 AM

Its difficult to say what a "good deal" is on a hardtop. I've been looking and I'm having a hard time finding one! So, your forced to settle. I'm just concerned I'm settling "too much" to select a slightly different black. The more I consider it, I'm not worried too much. I think once its a little dirty (which will happen with the road salt), it won't even be noticeable.

This top is in great shape (never used), and the seals looks quite good. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

bmussatti 11-02-2007 06:47 AM

FM, just try it out this year. Next year you could always get it painted to match the car.

Wax it before the Winter, though.

der Geist 11-03-2007 08:23 AM

Hardtop is aluminum. 55 lbs-can't rust

Paint the car to match the top. A flat black Boxster would be kick ass IMO. Matching flat black wheels with 3" chrome lips. It will look like the freakin' Batmobile but cooler.

djomlas 11-03-2007 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by der Geist
Hardtop is aluminum. 55 lbs-can't rust

Paint the car to match the top. A flat black Boxster would be kick ass IMO. Matching flat black wheels with 3" chrome lips. It will look like the freakin' Batmobile but cooler.

someone do this :dance:

SC986 11-03-2007 03:11 PM

DJ, you already have the black wheels and hardtop :D Well your wheels aren't flat though, just a thought.