Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
bmussatti

The Color Orange

Has there ever been a factory Orange color for the Boxster?

I love the color Orange. I want my next Porsche to be orange! I know there is a new 911 Carrera GT3 RS that is orange (with too much black lettering IMHO).

Old 11-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #2

I have absolutely nothing useful to add here except that my wife really likes the color orange too. Most of the rooms in our house are orange, and I think our next Porsche will wind up being Orange too if it is offered.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #3
bmussatti

OK, with a name like Dr.Kill, I feel compelled to say that I have NEVER met your wife. Just to be clear!!

I went to the University of Illinois...so orange is "in my blood". Please no football jokes here!!

Here is the GT3 RS:
Old 11-02-2006, 02:21 PM   #4

Zanzibar Red is orange-y. In the old days, Porsches came in many colors, including orange.

http://homepage.mac.com/markd/914/colors.html
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
bmussatti

Here is a better picture:
Old 11-02-2006, 03:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
I have absolutely nothing useful to add here except that my wife really likes the color orange too. Most of the rooms in our house are orange, and I think our next Porsche will wind up being Orange too if it is offered.
I knew a guy once who's whole house was orange inside. He was a pimp and drug dealer who went to prison for food stamp fraud. That wasn't you, was it Doc?
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:22 PM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
I knew a guy once who's whole house was orange inside. He was a pimp and drug dealer who went to prison for food stamp fraud. That wasn't you, was it Doc?

Hell, I paid for my car this past Spring with food stamps! Took the dealer a little time to count-out...but it's all good!
Old 11-02-2006, 03:23 PM   #8

Quote:
food stamp fraud? lol! No, that wasn't me, but hats off to that guy.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:11 AM   #9
cartagena

I painted my first car Orange (Dodge Challenger). About 80% of the people I met looked at it in shock and said "why did you paint it Orange?!?!". I even had police ask this as the first question when stopping me. The next year I painted it red and then the same people would come up and say "I liked the Orange better".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Has there ever been a factory Orange color for the Boxster?

I love the color Orange. I want my next Porsche to be orange! I know there is a new 911 Carrera GT3 RS that is orange (with too much black lettering IMHO).
Old 11-03-2006, 07:01 AM   #10

Bmuss,

Somehow I just can't see you driving a Orange car ???

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartagena
I painted my first car Orange (Dodge Challenger).
Nice car! Too bad you don't still have it - it would probably be worth a fortune.

Have you seen the new ones? I have already been prepping my wife for the purchase once the SRT variants hit the market...

Old 11-03-2006, 11:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Have you seen the new ones? I have already been prepping my wife for the purchase once the SRT variants hit the market...
If the dealers don't go crazy, I think I'm going to get one as well. I had planned to buy the new Shelby Mustang but greed overtook the dealers. They're selling the cars for $25,000 over sticker. I refused to pay it.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:14 AM   #13

Quote:
If the dealers don't go crazy, I think I'm going to get one as well. I had planned to buy the new Shelby Mustang but greed overtook the dealers. They're selling the cars for $25,000 over sticker. I refused to pay it.
yeah, 25k over is a bit rediculous for anything, and especially for a Mustang. Have you looked at one of the supercharged Saleen cars as an alternative? I know the horsepower numbers are lower than the GT500, but I seem to remember reading an article that said it was almost as fast and handled quite a bit better.

I expect the SRT prepped Challenger to sticker around $40 - 45k. If the dealer is asking $70k for the car, I would rather just buy a 911 instead.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:19 AM   #14

Dr. Kill, if you have the extra cash ($3500 or so?) you can order your new Porsche in any color or flavor you wish. Just send them a paint swatch and they'll match it.

Of course, getting rid of an orange boxster ain't gonna be easy, but hey, sounds like you'd keep an orange boxster a long long time and it wouldn't matter to you.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Dr. Kill, if you have the extra cash ($3500 or so?) you can order your new Porsche in any color or flavor you wish. Just send them a paint swatch and they'll match it.

Of course, getting rid of an orange boxster ain't gonna be easy, but hey, sounds like you'd keep an orange boxster a long long time and it wouldn't matter to you.
Yeah, see that is part of the appeal. I think my next Porsche needs to be a 911. I think it would make sense to pay a little extra to get it exactly like I want it, and then never sell it and use something else as my DD. My wife, God bless her, is very tolerant of my expensive hobbies, but at $85k for a car I don't need or use every day, it might prompt her to ask about it. I figure if I say it is going to be orange, it should help maintain her excitement levels and make the purchase easier for all of us.

Old 11-03-2006, 11:26 AM   #16

Saleen builds a nice car. I used to have a SA-10. The point for me was having a new Shelby. This may be our last opportunity to own a real Shelby Mustang that Carroll was actually a part of (small part perhaps, but still a part). Unfortunately, the dealers went nuts, people are willing to pay up and real collectors, like me, get shut out.

I've always thought that brand loyalty and past history should count for something when limited cars come out. Ford should look and say, "Oh yeah, he's bought six new Mustangs from us and he currently has four vintage ones in his collection. Let's put him at the top of the list." Of course, they don't. Whoever has the most scratch gets the car. If it's a 19 year old dope dealer who runs it into a utility pole, so be it. As long as Ford and the dealer make their money.

I figure at a projected 7000 cars per year the exclusivity won't be there and they'll become completely attainable, but I wanted a very low serial number car. Didn't happen, so I'll move on.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:44 PM   #17

Grizz, Ford can't afford to play favorites these days. They're bleeding so badly financially that they have to be cash-driven in every decision they make... good or bad.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Grizz, Ford can't afford to play favorites these days. They're bleeding so badly financially that they have to be cash-driven in every decision they make... good or bad.
Yeah, it's a shame really. How many people are they laying off? Last I heard, the plan was somewhere around 60,000 between them and GM.

Old 11-03-2006, 01:11 PM   #19
bmussatti

Quote:
Yeah, it's a shame really. How many people are they laying off? Last I heard, the plan was somewhere around 60,000 between them and GM.

I read last year that every GM car has about $1,600 in fixed cost to cover their retired employees health care insurance!
Old 11-03-2006, 01:12 PM   #20

I also heard that Mercedes is breaking it off with Chrysler. Don't know if that's urban legend or the truth, but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

American car companies better do something radical and do it soon if they want to retain automobile manufacturing in any form.