Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 02:22 PM   #1

Looking to buy navigation

I'm considering buying an in-dash navigation unit and looking for some tips from those who have. I have currently A/C, CDR220, CD Caddy and DSP unit as my four units. I'm guessing I'll have to ditch the caddy and I don't know which else to make room for a double-DIN gps.

I was considering the AVIC-D3, or maybe an Eclipse unit. I'd really like to have an in-dash unit that could detach so I could carry it on the bike occasionally. I'm not sure if these systems would replace the Becker radio entirely and then go into the DSP, or are they supposed to go straight into the car's sound system?

Any good/bad GPS stories to share?

-David

http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:28 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Just print out the Google map and tape it to the dash. I think that counts as in-dash navigation.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
bmussatti

David, I went with the Garmin Nuvi 680. Love it. I know you want an in-dash, but you might still want to consider this option. There are a bunch of different mounts now too for portible GPS. Everything from air vent mounts to cup holder mounts.

I can take it from car to car. Business trips in the rental car...and etc.

A good site for price shopping these are:

www.pricescan.com

For mounts:

www.mountguys.com
Old 10-30-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
If you want something detachable that is indash you probably aren't going to find it, or find it cheap. I like the Mio C220, I hardwired the cable in through the instrument cluster, check my registry page (sig.)
Old 10-30-2007, 07:51 PM   #5

i got me a refurb tomtom one for $150 and it is great. the tomtom software is simple and it gets me where I'm going. it doesn't do text to speech ie read street names but that is a really over hyped and unnecessary feature. if you spend much more than that, you might as well go crazy and move up to the pioneer avic d3. which is a nice piece of kit and can be had for $800ish via one of the many internets. (computer required)
Old 10-30-2007, 08:03 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I agree, the text to speech thinig is over hyped, I normally have the sound on mine shut off, I just let it tell me where to turn.
Old 10-31-2007, 06:42 AM   #7
Track rat

Garage
I got the Garmin Nuvi 350 portable after getting several suggestions on this forum. Quite a marvel of technology. I use it every day in my job, pop it in my Boxter for top down canyon carving, pop it in the Wife's Lexus for road trips, pop it in my pocket when traveling. We were in San Diego a week ago and one of our favorite seafood places was packed with people lined up around the corner. No problem... checked the Nuvi and another fine eatery was a few blocks away. Called the number and tables were available... cool. How did we ever get around without GPS??.

With a little creativity you should be able to do a "built in dash" look for your mount and still take advantage of a portable GPS that you can take with you everywhere. Removing it when you park will also prevent thieves from damaging your car trying to get to it.