Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2007, 11:08 AM   #1

C63 does 3.9sec to 60mph

Just read Car&Driver comparing the M3, C63, and the Audi RS4. As expected the M3 is the best all around performer but the Mercedes knocked of a 3.9 sec run to 60mph . That's impressive for a 4,000 pound car. That's faster than the Carrera S and even the GT3. Too bad they didn't make it 500 pounds lighter.

Here is the link:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/14276/08-mercedes-benz-c63-amg-v-07-audi-rs-4-v-08-bmw-m3.html

05 Touareg V8
Black
drburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #2

Not only is it severely bloated but it's only available as a slushbox. I prefer to row my own.

"It is better to enter a corner slow, and come out fast, than to enter a corner fast, and come out dead." - Sir Stirling Moss
J-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 01:10 PM   #3

I'd take one.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
blkboxster

Wow thats faster then my 2.5 boxster , lol
Old 10-30-2007, 03:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkboxster
Wow thats faster then my 2.5 boxster , lol

Wasn't that what you were getting before you got possessed by the desire to go
GTO????
meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #6
blkboxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerzee

Wasn't that what you were getting before you got possessed by the desire to go
GTO????
Lol no more gto for me. test drove one and it didnt live up to my expectations. So now back to the amg
Old 10-31-2007, 05:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RAD
Not only is it severely bloated but it's only available as a slushbox. I prefer to row my own.
The Mercedes C63 is a luxury/sport grand touring vehicle. There is no way to build it with all the options without it being so "bloated". The 911 purists complain every year when the new model comes and it's 100 pounds heavier than the previous year's model. All the options have thier price in weight and performance. The additional ponies more than make up for the weight in straight line performance. And like the 911 turbo with all this HP it is getting harder to shift as good as a computer, especially with a 7 speed auto trans. In fact the last few years 911 turbos actually posted faster times with the tiptronic trans than the manual. I just bought a CLK55 AMG and while it is an entirely different car than the Boxster it is a blast to drive. The steering wheel paddle shifters took a bit getting used to on hard acceleration and while not the same as rowing your own it is nice to not have to go up and down in city traffic all the time. I don't miss the manual as much as I thought I would. I just got in a HPS supercharger to really pump up the HP-should go over 500 with this.

Even so-I would never trade or think of selling my Boxster. Just too much damn fun.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 08:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by der Geist
The Mercedes C63 is a luxury/sport grand touring vehicle. There is no way to build it with all the options without it being so "bloated". The 911 purists complain every year when the new model comes and it's 100 pounds heavier than the previous year's model. All the options have thier price in weight and performance. The additional ponies more than make up for the weight in straight line performance. And like the 911 turbo with all this HP it is getting harder to shift as good as a computer, especially with a 7 speed auto trans. In fact the last few years 911 turbos actually posted faster times with the tiptronic trans than the manual. I just bought a CLK55 AMG and while it is an entirely different car than the Boxster it is a blast to drive. The steering wheel paddle shifters took a bit getting used to on hard acceleration and while not the same as rowing your own it is nice to not have to go up and down in city traffic all the time. I don't miss the manual as much as I thought I would. I just got in a HPS supercharger to really pump up the HP-should go over 500 with this.

Even so-I would never trade or think of selling my Boxster. Just too much damn fun.
You're exactly right, it's a GT car. As is the 911T. Neither of which appeal to me. I drive an A6 wagon as a daily driver. It's performance figures weren't much of a consideration in it's purchase.

The GT3, while it too is also unnecessarily hefty, is more my style. I'd love to see even more of a purist model from Porsche, similar to what they did with the RS America in the 90's. There is much more to a car than straight line acceleration. That simply doesn't interest me much. The sporting aspect of a sports car is what I prefer. It's the old sledgehammer v. scalpel argument and the reason why other lesser powered cars, such as the Boxster, remain so attractive to many.

"It is better to enter a corner slow, and come out fast, than to enter a corner fast, and come out dead." - Sir Stirling Moss
J-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote