Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2007, 09:22 AM   #1

Replace brake rotors and pads...

I'm about to replace all my brake rotors (incl. pads) -- and have decided to do it myself (first time). I've gotten new brake sensors for the rear (where the pads are very low) but since the front pads are okay, I assume I can re-use the old sensors... no?

If you can think of anything I should know/look for before I roll up my sleeves, pray tell.

-- peer

Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:37 AM   #2

Check out this guide

http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/brakes/

I did mine in 5 hours for all four corners disks/pads and a brake fluid change. Its quite easy when you get into it

Good luck
noone986s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:41 AM   #3

I just got new front pads and rotors from pelican today. It was reinforced in my mind to do this myself after going to a PCA DE inspection event where they let anyone use the lifts. Another member with a boxster drove up and intended to change fluid and do all pads so I helped him and it was so amazingly easy to do.

The dealer wanted 1100 for front rotors and OEM pads on the front only. I came out better than that getting all the parts, a Motive bleeder, brake fluid, a jack and all tools needed plus extra stuff (wrench and socket set from sears) torque wrench for wheels, etc etc. but basically parts were less than half that quote.

I did notice he just used a pair of pliers (opening) to push the old pads apart to make room for the new thicker pads. No fancy spreaders or c clamps needed. Other than that it looked really easy.
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:27 PM   #4

Yes, you can reuse the sensors. Be careful with the wires, though, if one breaks, the sensor won't work. It shouldn't trip the wear alarm, though. They are easy to swap.

Keep an eye on your brake fluid reservoir. You're going to have to end up squeezing the pistons back into the calipers, which will cause the fluid to get pushed back up into the reservoir. Do NOT let it overflow! (I find a turkey baster is good for sucking out excess fluid). Do NOT reuse any fluid you suck out.

When you get the new pads and rotors in, you should do the 30/30/30 break-in.

Here's how you do it. Go to a closeby parking lot, or somewhere that you can get up to about 30mph.

Accelerate to 30mph, then stop completely. (you don't need to do 'panic braking' stop, but stop quickly) Wait for 30 seconds, and then repeat. Do this 30 times, and your pads should be broken in well.

Braking too hard from too high a speed can cause new pads to glaze, which will reduce their grip. Break in is important!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:32 PM   #5

Sensors can be re-used as long as they have not been activated - i.e. coating is rubbed-off & dash light comes on. However, if you regularly look at your brakes and you know what a worn pad looks like, you can just zip-tie the sensors back to the brake line. Makes pad swaps easier.
choeglund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:58 AM   #6

Thanks guys for advising on this job -- so I finally changed all my brake-rotors and pads. The front took only 50 minutes, while the rear took us a bit longer since we had to solder the censors (somehow I ended up with a pair that had different connectors). Now the brake-wear light is finally off, and I'm happy as a clam.

-- peer

Peer is offline   Reply With Quote