986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Check Engine Light and new battery (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13451)

Joji 09-29-2007 02:21 PM

Check Engine Light and new battery

Hi,
My battery died and just replace it with a new one. It has been installed for 3days now. I was driving home and the check Engine light just came on. Is it possible that hooking up the new batttery had anything to do with this.

KevinH1990 09-29-2007 02:30 PM

I'm beginning to believe anything is possible with Boxster CEL's. But, I think it is more likely that this is a coincidence. Something was about the go anyway and it just happened a few days after you replaced your battery.

I recommend that you go to Autozone or similar auto part store that has an OBII reader and have them read the code. Post it here or search. That will tell you more about the problem and whether it is related to battery replacement.

Good luck.

Joji 09-29-2007 02:47 PM

Do you have to pay at autozone to do this test?

rockbox 09-29-2007 02:59 PM

At the Autozone near me, they "rent" it out, you put full price on your credit card, they give you 90 days to bring it back. I kept one for 87 days took it back and they credited the money back, will do the same next time I get a cel.

later
dave

Joji 09-29-2007 03:00 PM

How does it hook up to the car. Do you have to access the engine?

rockbox 09-29-2007 03:06 PM

Has a dedicaited plug on bottom left hand side of dashboard near the fuse panel,
just plug it in and turn key on. do not start. it talks to your car and shows the codes, write them down and look up on line or post and search here.

later
dave

mikefocke 09-30-2007 04:49 AM

Yes

When you replace the battery and remove power, all sorts of computers lose their memory and the car has to be run for a while for them to learn enough to reset. It is possible that running the car with the base parameters triggered the CEL and that after you have run for a while and reset the CEL, you'll never see it again. OTOH, it is possible something completely unconnected with this sequence occurred.

Get the codes read by an OBDII reader. Post here or look them up on the net via a search function on any of the Boxster forums. You'll know more then.

Joji 09-30-2007 10:18 AM

The last thing i am curious about is my convertible roof was stuck in the down position when I got a smog test done. the guy detachit and manually set the roof back up. I have been driving it for 5 months with the roof up but the light was always on saying that it was not completly closed. even though it was. The light just went out right before the check engine light came on. Would the burn out of the light that tells you the status of the roof set off the check engine light?
thanks

Joji 10-01-2007 06:40 AM

Thanks for everyones help. My check Engine light is no longer on. I think it was because I put a new battery in. The computer needed to reset itself. I hope. I will keep you posted if it comes back on
thanks