Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 02:48 AM   #1

feedback wanted on Bose subwoofer,speaker set

hello all,

I own a factory facelift 2003 boxster. I installed a new Pioneer Bluetooth and Ipod head unit(great).

I then added the small porsche speakers that fit in the ear parcel shelf from the US Porsche parts company Eagleday.com.

I now however as a huge Bose fan are considering ditching the porshe parcel speakers and getting the Bose subwoofer,midrange speaker unit that is an option from bose for the boxster.

Can anyone please give me feedbvack as to the sound quailty etv of the Bose sub/speaker rear unit option before I pay out the UKŁ450/US$900

http://www.design911.co.uk/

cheers,

Andrew

Notting Hill

London

*NOS additive
*Shell V-Power 98 RON (UK baby its awesome)
*upgraded sports chrome tipped exhaust
*Professional valet every month & meguiars every 2nd day by me (in summer)!!!

try Meguiars NXT wax & Megs' Ultimate Quik Detailer..awesome stuff

shelloiluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 05:04 AM   #2

Personally, I would not. You're opening a can a worms you won't be able to $hut ea$ily w/out lot$ of $$$ ($ubtle enough ).

Bose does some funky things when it comes to the resistance in their speakers (among other things). Improvement in sound will be negligible w/out also swapping out the dash, door and amp to Bose so everything matches up. Not 100% certain as to cost, but I think from the factory Bose is something like a $2K option. Aftermarket, I'm sure it'll be at least that!

To get bang for your buck, especially since you already replaced the h/u, is to upgrade the remaining speakers in the car to good quality components. Go w/ either coaxials or components in the dash and upgrade the doors to 6.5", 6.75" or 6x9" (w/ their metric equivalent ). You might even have some $ left over from your original $900 you were going to spend on just the Bose parcel shelf if you DIY.

Here's an excellent guide on how to from Andy_M over on Renntech.
Andy-M's Guide to Ugrading Boxster Sound System

I'd suggest getting speakers that match up well to the amp you have or a new one you plan to get.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote