986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Quick question regarding tires... (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13399)

ar_ken 09-25-2007 08:20 PM

Quick question regarding tires...

Hey all,

First post here, just have a quick question...

Got a 01 Boxster S, it's time for some new shoes (tires :D ).. I really like the General Exclaim UHP tires (getting some very good reviews and not expensive!).. however it only has 245/40/17 for the rears. Knowing that the S runs 255 in the back as OEM, will it affact handling that much, or should I just forget about it and find another tire?

boggtown 09-25-2007 09:00 PM

I have these tires and they are pretty good tires. I cant complain one bit. I have 275's in the rear though on 19's. If you do go for 245's, it will give you a better balanced car if you also put wider tires up front (most track guys do this), but it will also limit your grip. I could burn rubber with my 255's and cant with my 275's, so if you want something a little more tossable the 245's might me fun.

easyc 09-25-2007 09:51 PM

I run 245's all around on the track, but that is for wear/ future TT class reasons... larger rears will always give more grip... with the smaller rear you will get more oversteer... if they carry a 265 or 275 go with that...

But why general tire? This is going to sound so bad, but you wouldn't go out and buy a high end desktop computer then hook it up to a $100 CRT screen would you?

boggtown 09-26-2007 06:40 AM

Ive put about 15,000 miles on my set over the year and I cant complain. Say what you will about it being cheap, but its a lot better than those kumho ecstas that were on the car before. Easyc if youve got an extra couple hundred bucks you want to throw away, buy 2 of these tires for the rear and drive it hard. You know how the car handles prior to the tires, so a comparison would be easy. But I doubt anyone would do that for ********************s and giggles.

ar_ken 09-26-2007 07:37 AM

boggtown: so according to you, running something like 225 in the front and 245 in the rear will give me better balance? How about the speedo? (How much will it be off) I can't seem to find the information on that on the net... doesn't give me an option for staggered tires!!!

easyc: Yes I understand your point, however the 96k service is due at the same time as the tires... and my wallet is getting a LITTLE thin............... :(

But thanks for the opinions so far, keep them coming! :cheers:

boggtown 09-26-2007 07:44 AM

Your speedo only calibrates on overall diameter, not width, so it should be fine. What I mean in you will have a more neutral handling car with the smaller rears because the car has understeer built in.

easyc 09-26-2007 11:54 AM

225/245 is NOT going to improve balance... the autocross guys run 245 all round F/R for balance.

Interesting idea, but all tire money goes towards hoosiers... much more fun to throw the car around on.