986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Need Radio Help (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13398)

Dohertycm 09-25-2007 08:06 PM

Need Radio Help

I am tired of the 220 so I bought a Sony and Sirius sat box to go with it...

I DONT HAVE THE CODE FOR THE CDR-220 Radio..And it doesnt show up on the car scan....SO the Porsche radio is gone.

Now...I have the DSP with amplifier...

Would like to keep it but dont know how to hook it up...

Pin 5 of Socket A is the "control output for the automatic aerial/amplifier"
Pin 6 of Socket C1 is also "control output for the automatic aerial/amplifier"

What type of signal goes to these wires....12V?

All other wires match up.

I did try power...the radio comes up but no sound...I am assuming that the amplifier is not powered...So how do I over-ride this or incorporate the amplifier?

Help please...I have a long road trip on Friday :(

Dohertycm 09-26-2007 06:22 AM

Bump

Still looking for help in this area....

Wonko The Sane 09-26-2007 04:01 PM

Here's how I did it for mine: I may be wrong, but I THINK I'm right :)

You have two separate systems that require a switched power source. If you've never installed an amp, they require two powers: one big-arsed main one from the battery and switched from the deck.

The big ones' reason is obvious, the switched one is so that way the amp turns off when the deck is turned off. No drain on the battery this way.

The reason that there are two of them on the Porsche is that the antenna for the radio is built into the glass. You can't have an antenna like that without externally powering it, so it also has a switched power source required.

How I connected it with my stereo: Out of the aftermarket deck there should be (at least one) a blue wire signaled for "amp/remote turn on." I connected both antenna/amp leads to that blue wire.

Also note, that you will most likely need a box to connect your stereo to the speaker wires. You can't just plug the speaker wires from the deck directly into the amp. I used this one cause I bought my deck from Crutchfield: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-wA0oGlqmc3u/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?I=127OEM2

Hope this helps!

Dohertycm 09-27-2007 12:36 PM

Your right

your right one is the amp and one is the antenna...Thanks
Got it all in and now it seems like the radio is overdriving the amp and distorting
the sound...sound good at a low volume, but when I turn it up it, it distorts.

I guess i will have to see about removing the amp from the picture and see how that sounds.

Any other thoughts?

Wonko The Sane 09-27-2007 12:47 PM

Did you use a box like the one I linked to?

Amplifiers require a low-level input, basically, they want a signal that has not been amplified.

Your stereo is outputting signal meant to connect directly to speakers, which has to be amplified, or you'd never have enough power to move the speaker.

This means that if you're not running some sort of high-level to low-level adapter, you are really, really overdriving the amplifier. It's taking amplified signal, and then trying to amplify it again. Taking the amp out of equation is a crude way of fixing the problem, since signal from a straight amplifier is always going to be more powerful than that coming off a deck (a dedicated amp circuit vs. a amp chip in the deck).

Stop by Circuit City or somewhere since you need the stereo for tomorrow, they'll have a high-to-low adapter for you, if you explain your problem.

Lemme know how you make out.

Cheers!

Dohertycm 09-28-2007 09:41 AM

Weird

I did what you said and hooked it up but it still did it....

Here is the weird part. I disconnected the speakers main wire and left the ground wires hooked up, The sound was still coming out of the speakers....AND i was not getting a distorted sound out of the speakers...

So just to play around I disconnected those and hooked up the speakers to the positive side only...And they played as well.....really good!
The equalizer worked, the amplifier worked and the digital sound box worked....!

All with no ground wires hooked up....I dont get it...

When ever i hooked up the speaker ground from the head unit up, it distorted if the positive was hooked up...weirdest thing..

I got it all hooked up using the chassis ground and not the speaker ground on the head unit....

Now the only problem is dealing with the alternator noise in the speakers....did notice that until i was driving to work today.

Chris

Wonko The Sane 10-01-2007 09:05 AM

I had to play with my grounding too, but I can't remember where I grounded it... I think I added a ground going from the speaker wires to the antenna, in order to get rid of the whine, but as I said, my memory is hazy :)

Unfortunately, the whine is caused by improper grounding :( It's a vicious cycle.

Dohertycm 10-01-2007 07:38 PM

Found it

Well I figured out that when you group the ground wires all together like what is done on the stock radio you get a lot of feedback...That was another thing I found.. so I put each speaker + and - wire separate...

next thing is I found that the sirius connect box was causing the whine, so I removed that and took it back, i dont know if it was bad or not, but I am geting one that plugs into the front AUX port so I dont get the whining..

WHAT A ******************** to hook up a radio....Thanks for the ideas, boards like this are great...! :cheers:

boggtown 10-01-2007 07:57 PM

Good job. Thats why I spent 80 bucks to get mine installed. Plus I get lifetime warranty so if wires ever come loose I get it fixed for free.

Wonko The Sane 10-02-2007 04:48 AM

Jon - Yeah... If you've never installed a stereo before, the Box is one of the harder ones :) I didn't have too much trouble, but I've done a lot of stereo installs, so the troubleshooting process wasn't too bad for me. It can be a multi-day problem as it was here, if you're not completely familiar with installs like it, though :)

Dohertycm - Great! I'm glad to hear that you got it all sorted out :)