Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2007, 05:26 AM   #1
Q98

Angry Blinking red light at Temp gage

Can someone tell me why I get an intermittent blinking light at my temp gage.
This only happens in the early a.m. when the temperature outside is below 70 degrees F. During my ride home with temperature above 70 degerees the blinking light is no longer present. I have checked my owners manual and checked the level of my coolant and it is where it should be. The only other recommendation from the manual is to check for blockage . I have done that also. They also refer to an auxillary fan . If the fan was not functioning properly would it not make more sense for the light to go on in the p.m. when the temperature was greater than 70 degrees? Can someone answer me?

Q98

Q98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:08 AM   #2

I believe that could indicate low fluid level, or a fan that is not working. Odd that it goes away after warming up.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:23 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
did you clean out your radiators?

what is the temp gauge showing? blinking light means you do not drive it. if its just constant light on it probably means low fluid, blinking means more serious problem if i remember correctly
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 07:31 AM   #4

...it goes away when the car is warmer because I believe the coolant level rises.

If you checked the level and it is Ok then I can't help you...

...I know that symptom lead to a cracked coolant tank in my case. Its the old crack under the tank, wet spot near the passenger rear tire, coolant under the carpet in the trunk bit.

If it is a cracked coolant tank, its an $800 dealer repair that some have completed themselves. However I have heard that it gets a little funky/difficult dealing with the lines that run through the fire wall.

...good luck with your diagnosis.
Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
did you clean out your radiators?

what is the temp gauge showing? blinking light means you do not drive it. if its just constant light on it probably means low fluid, blinking means more serious problem if i remember correctly

You're thinking about the Check Engine light. If THAT blinks, DO NOT DRIVE the car.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 01:25 PM   #6

One thing to check is the hoses and the hose clamps on the radiator overflow tank. The original clamps become brittle over time and the hoses can develop leaks.

If the car is a pre 2000 model, you're certainly due for a coolant overflow tank replacement, but it doesn't have to cost you $800 at a stealership, that's for sure. I bought my tank from Sunset for $187 (I think) and my mechanic charged me 2 hours labor to put it in. He wanted to know what I thought his bloody knuckle was worth to add to the bill but hey, he's done a bunch of these replacements before and should have bid the job accordingly!

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote