Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2007, 07:41 AM   #1

PCM-1 (Porsche Communication Management)

I'm considering the purchase of a used PCM-1 removed from a 1999 Carrera. I've searched and read just about every post on several forums and I'm still a bit uncertain. Will someone review the information gathered from my research and let me know if I am on the right track with my thinking and answer my remaining questions?

1. The PCM is an 8-bit unit (confirmed by the seller), so new maps aren't available.
2. The PCM from a 99 Carrera will work in my 2000 Boxster. (Both cars are non-MOST.)
3. The PCM may or may not be "plug and play" depending on the relative configuration of the cars involved. I have the on-board computer if that helps.
4. I will need to buy a new navigation antenna. Are these available? What do they cost?
5. I will need to buy a CD-changer cable. Are these available? What do they cost?
6. Will the PCM have to be activated by the dealer after I install it?
7. I will have to relocate my climate control unit, but this is a straightforward job and the parts needed are relatively inexpensive.

I have the Becker CD-220 with the "peeling button/sticky knob" problem and was thinking that the used PCM might be a nice upgrade. I figure it will cost about $125 to service the Becker and I could use that money to defray some of the cost of the PCM. However, it is beginning to look like the installation of the PCM could be tricky and involve some hidden costs. Also, most folks seem to favor an aftermarket unit.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 03:29 AM   #2

This is a very thorough description on installing a PCM:

http://www.realtime.net/%7Erentner/Porsche/LefterisPCM/PCM.html

Please get a 16-bit navigation unit, the difference is well worth the extra $ it will cost you. You can get 2007 / 2008 cards for the 16-bit.
williamsF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:28 AM   #3

I'm beginning to think an aftermarket unit will be the best bet. The unit I was looking at is an 8 bit. The PCM looks OEM of course, but the function is behind the times.

Thanks for the link to the installation instructions. They will be helpful even for an aftermarket install.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 09-23-2007, 09:58 AM   #4

I had a lot of considerations about this before I upgraded my 8-bit to a 16-bit, and by that choose to keep my PCM-1 system.

First of all I like the onboard computer and the very nicely integrated phone system. I think the sound quality from speaking handsfree is still good and I have good connection with my PCM-1 solution. My mobile phone just diverts the call and this works just fine for me.

Secondly I have still not seen a aftermarket solution that didn't catch the eye as a bit out of context, even though I have seen very nice extra-frame solutions that almost made it OEM looking. But these solutions are also both pricy and require some installation skills.

But for me the winning arguement was the fact that with a PCM-1 16bit you can actually use 2007/2008 cards from NavTeq (Opel CD's). I made a topic about this some months ago on this forum because I was very exicted with the result. PCM1 is perhaps a bit outdated but with a upgraded navi cd reader, 6-cd changer and a iPod connection I think it is the best solution, at least if you already have PCM in your car.

I removed the phone and replaced it with a ProClip from Brodit for my iPod. The 4 holes from the phone fits the ProClip perfectly and it looks very integrated in the car.

The A/C menu is useless though, the seperate displays on the 1-DIN A/C unit is fine having the temp. written with a large font-size doesn't make any difference.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsF1
IPCM1 is perhaps a bit outdated but with a upgraded navi cd reader, 6-cd changer and a iPod connection I think it is the best solution, at least if you already have PCM in your car.

I removed the phone and replaced it with a ProClip from Brodit for my iPod. The 4 holes from the phone fits the ProClip perfectly and it looks very integrated in the car.
How is the signal from your iPod being sent to the PCM?

This is what I use for my CDR-220:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=5190

Will it work with the PCM?
Old 09-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #6

I dont know if it will sorry ... I think anything is possible if you have the wiring skills, but for me I wanted something that had ZERO wires or car-modifications and decent audio quality.

I bought this one:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=257339#

A FM Transmitter and a very good one, it was rated best in iPod Lounge, a online magazine who take ipod accessories very seriously.

I bought the ProClip and a black iPod video (5G). It's all black and because you can disconnect the charger from the FM transmitter the actual integration becomes very clean (not 1 wire) and the iPod lasts 4-5 hours, and takes max. 1 hour to recharge. I live in Copenhagen the capital of Denmark and I have just one frequency I use all the time, when I drove to Italy through Germany and Austria I had to change a few times. The sound is great really also at loud volumes. However bad mp3 quality (less than 128 kbps comes out pretty bad)

ProClip picture:

http://www.proclipusa.com/core/framework/scripts/image.asp?path=/media/images/products/devicecradle/840659.jpg&width=480&height=480

No unnecessary details, holds the iPod firmly, easy install for a phone replacement.

I got my 16Bit navigation from Porsch-a-part used ! I paid 400£ which is perhaps a bit too much, but after having looked online for some time I was desperate and the 'new price' from the dealer is 1.300 £ incl. 2003-2004 cards which I am told are not very great.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:10 PM   #7

Thanks.

I agree with you that the PCM looks better than the aftermarket units.

The only PCM unit that I have found so far is an 8 bit unit. The price is reasonable, but I would have to upgrade to the 16 bit unit, and that would be an additional expense.

I might be able to figure out some kind of adapter for the iPod. I like having it hardwired and powered by the car.