986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Does boxster need rust proofing? (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13318)

donx 09-21-2007 04:20 PM

Does boxster need rust proofing?

Even though I am not planning to drive my boxster during the winter time, I am still wondering if rust proofing is needed for it? I have my large SUV done Krown rust proofing every year before the long winter here in Canada, it requires drilling holes in the side of the body panels and the inject some kind of oils. The salesperson from Porsche dealer said he would not recommend it at all. But what about do some thing like spraying underneath the car?

racer_d 09-21-2007 04:25 PM

I believe all Porsches come with a 12 year warranty regarding rust. Could you add more rust proofing? yes... I don't think it to be necessary however. Just keep it clean as best you can, should you get caught out in the salt/sand/melting snows of toronto ;)

donx 09-21-2007 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer_d
I believe all Porsches come with a 12 year warranty regarding rust. Could you add more rust proofing? yes... I don't think it to be necessary however. Just keep it clean as best you can, should you get caught out in the salt/sand/melting snows of toronto ;)

Thanks a lot for the quick response.

Wow, that's great, I hope that 12 years warranty applies to Canada as well, any Canadian member here can confirm that?

I would not drive my Boxster even when there is drizzle or light rain, let alone during nasty winter snow season. That's when my heavy duty SUV is used for. :D

Franco 09-21-2007 04:58 PM

Hi Donx,

I'm the proud owner of a 1997 and have rust coming from everywhere, 2 Pathfinders, Hummer (almost sold), Fence, Tempo, Lawn mower, Rake, Shovel, Lamppost, Patio Set, Barbecue, Swimming Pool, Fish Tank, All Tools in Garage, Remotes, Dish, Utensils,Umbrellas, and on the RUST CHECK ANTI RUST SPRAY CAN, but can't find rust on that POS Boxster. :p

Don't Worry Be Happy :cheers:

pk2 09-21-2007 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donx
Even though I am not planning to drive my boxster during the winter time, I am still wondering if rust proofing is needed for it? I have my large SUV done Krown rust proofing every year before the long winter here in Canada, it requires drilling holes in the side of the body panels and the inject some kind of oils. The salesperson from Porsche dealer said he would not recommend it at all. But what about do some thing like spraying underneath the car?

Most ”rust proofing” has been discredited, snake oil, maybe there are new methods. but those in the know say the majority are for the most part counterproductive, worthless at best.

P.K

BlackBeanChicken 07-17-2015 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pk2 (Post 117096)
Most ”rust proofing” has been discredited, snake oil, maybe there are new methods. but those in the know say the majority are for the most part counterproductive, worthless at best.

P.K

I live in Canada and I have a 2005 Mazda3 as my winter car. Probably the rustiest model of any current car.
Now that is 10 years of winter driving in Canada with salt and crap and I haved used Krown since new and it rust free.

Sorry but your statement is crap.

husker boxster 07-17-2015 01:40 PM

Doubt you'll have any problems from the underside. Just be sure you take care of any chips so those don't fester. And wash as often as you can.

I put Blizzaks on my CSS and can go anywhere as long as the snow is less than 4". No issues at all.

JayG 07-17-2015 01:56 PM

Rust? whats that?
We don't got no stinkin rust in San Diego :dance:

Porsche9 07-17-2015 02:10 PM

Only the really cheap stuff rusts in Phoenix. Cars no. Clear coating failing due to UV exposure, yes.

rick3000 07-17-2015 02:38 PM

They came with a 10 year rust free warranty, and the underbody is sprayed with rustproofing from the factory. I still wouldn't neglect to keep the undercarriage free of salt.

particlewave 07-17-2015 02:58 PM

The body is actually dipped in giant vats of primer several times so that every nook and cranny is coated. Very solid paint ;)

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/a...87406E5A_1.png

san rensho 07-18-2015 09:15 AM

And all cars have many drain holes, which a can get clogged by commercial aftermarket undercoating, which can lead to trapping water and actually causing corrosion, so aftermarket is bad.