Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2007, 05:03 PM   #1

Window problem

I have a 2000 Boxster, the driver's side window is only retracting about an 1/8th of an inch, instead of the 1/4 or so inch that it usualy does when you open the door. Of course the door will not close properly because the window is not going down quite far enough.

Is there any way to reset this, or do I need to take it to the dealer? The passenger side works fine.

kmurphy19662003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:00 PM   #2

Me too

My 2002 Boxster is doing exactly the same thing, so after doing some searches and posting on PPBB, the window regulator appears the likely culprit. I have ordered a new one and will install it myself, hopefully solving this problem. If you want to wait until I do this ( within next 2 weeks) I will post and let you know if this worked.
musicboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:35 AM   #3

Thanks, let me know if this works, I can wait two weeks.
kmurphy19662003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #4

Sometimes the windows lose their memory settings of where they should stop and start. You may need a regulator, but resetting the windows would be a good first thing to do and is free.

While inside the car and the door completely closed, run the window up and down a few times.

If this doesn't solve the problem, I'm afraid you have a worn regulator and it needs replacement. Our cars have this problem more than 911's of the same year because we have drop tops and we're constantly using the windows where a hard top driver might not roll the windows down nearly as much.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 05:42 AM   #5

My '03 started doing the same thing on the passenger window about 2 weeks ago. Tried resetting the window (roll down, roll up while holding down the button for 5 seconds after it reaches the top), no improvement. It's still under warranty, took it to the dealer, replaced window regulator, problem fixed. I asked if the regulator can be adjusted to fix the problem, answer "no", must be replaced.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:31 PM   #6

OK I sort of encountered this similar problem but I dont think its the regulator (or at least hope not).

What happened is that I was preparing the box for storage and disconnected the battery. Then I opened the doors foregetting tha that windos are supposed to roll down a bit upon entering. I reconnected the battery so that I can close the doors properly as now the window were too high to close properly. Now the drivers side window is too low and the passnger side is a tad high. Neither of the windows roll up or down when I pull on the door handles now. I was in a rush and had to go so I took my battery with me to get it on a trickle charger. What should I do when I get the time to reconnect the battery?

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 05:42 PM   #7

Try connecting the battery and raising and lowering the windows fully two or three times with the doors closed.

Sometimes the windows just need to be reset.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 06:10 PM   #8

Thumbs up Helpful Hints and Procedures for Window Regulator Replacement

KMurphy and Musicboy:

From the symptoms that you describe, it's a classic case of stretched, crumpled, or otherwise broken window regulator. If you have tried the window reset procedure already described in this thread and it has not yielded any results, it's 99% sure that you must replace the window regulator to get that magic 1/2 inch drop.

It's a very straightforward procedure.

Four things to keep in mind:

1. Most of the oem replacement regulators come with a small plastic bag of parts that is contained inside the larger plastic bag which encases the regulator. That bag contains a small bump stop that must be attached to the higher of the two bottom square holes on the forwardmost leg (the lower bump stop is for 996/997).

2. Be sure to mark (with a sharpie or similar) the footprint of the old regulator legs where they sit on the bottom (horizontal) surface of the door. That will help you avoid having to later make an adjustment to get the glass in the proper plane (inboard to outboard slant adjustment).

3. Raise the window almost to its uppermost position so that you can access the two torx screws (that must be loosened to release the glass window from its clamping brackets) through the hole provided for that purpose. One in front, one towards the rear, covered by black rubber plugs.

4. Do not clean the two areas near the bottom of each glass window where the clamping brackets are attached to the window. You can use the "dirt marks" as one of the guides as to where the window should be re-attached to the new regulator clamping brackets. The other guide is the forward bottom angled corner of the glass.

Here is a link that will help you remove the door panels: http://www.ecoutez.net/boxster/door-panel-removal/

Here is a link that will explain how the regulators go bad (see posts 1,2 & 3 specifically):
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=16269

Good luck!

Regards, schoir (Maurice).

schoir is offline   Reply With Quote