986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Emergency Trunk release cable rerouted (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13276)

kdub 09-18-2007 03:35 PM

Emergency Trunk release cable rerouted

I just did the re-routing of the emergency front trunk lease cable.

It doesn't require removing the front bumper like alot of people mentioned. I just removed the passenger side headlight and there was the cable. It was pretty easy to fish the cable to the tow hook hole using a wire coat hanger.

Anyone who hasn't done it should!

Tool Pants 09-18-2007 07:44 PM

About 5- 6 years ago Dan Feinberg and I came up with that "hack."

Glad it worked for you.

Boxtaboy 09-19-2007 05:25 AM

I had my front bumper off a couple weekends ago and considered doing this too, but then thought that if someone caught on that people were doing this hack, all someone has to do is to pluck off that tow hook plug, and then they have access to the trunk and then can easily remove their Litronics or steal whatever is inside their trunk.

This hack has been mentioned on pretty much every Porsche board out there. I'm probably being overly cautious here, but there are several other ways of getting your front trunk open if your battery dies, so I figure why bother making it easier for thieves.

ChrisZang 09-19-2007 08:20 AM

REAR trunk release cable

Hi,

does anyone have a hint or an DYI as where the release cable for the REAR trunk is?

Boxtaboy 09-19-2007 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisZang
Hi,

does anyone have a hint or an DYI as where the release cable for the REAR trunk is?

You have to take the rear bumper off, and then you'll see the cable wire coming out of a hole right underneath the rear driver's tail light.

Here's a picture of it, with arrow pointing at it. I had my bumper off when I put in my sports exhaust...

http://i14.tinypic.com/2mwxmgx.jpg

ChrisZang 09-20-2007 09:25 AM

Great! Many thanks, that's what I was looking for :)

now I have to find the DYI for removing the rear bumper, I know they're out there somewhere ;)

blinkwatt 09-20-2007 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisZang
now I have to find the DYI for removing the rear bumper, I know they're out there somewhere ;)

You need to start by removing the rear spoiler first.

-Raise the spoiler manually w/ the switch near the dead pedal(or the rear spoiler switch if you've done that mod)

-Open the rear trunk so you don't mess it up while work

-Get a center punch,small nail or something you can tap the middle of the three rivets out with

-remove the rear spoiler cover

-Remove the two bolts located inside the spoiler by looking downwards within the spoiler

-Lift and remove spoiler

Now removing the rear bumper

-Remove the bumperettes by releasing their bolt. You can see the bolt when you get on the ground and look on your back

-remove the wheel well housing screw, 1/side

-remove the three screws located on the bottom of the bumper, 3/side

-remove the screws from the license plate lighting,2/per light

-release the lights from the bumper

I think that's all it was,pretty darn easy. I can double check tonight to make sure I listed all the steps.

ChrisZang 09-20-2007 11:43 AM

many thanks again :)

djomlas 09-20-2007 02:34 PM

i soppose its possible to get some extra wire/rope and you can move that anywhere you wish, not just in one spot.
i moved mine, but nowhere close to the tow hook

hi-boxster168 06-04-2010 04:15 PM

How do you open the front trunck when battery is dead?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
I had my front bumper off a couple weekends ago and considered doing this too, but then thought that if someone caught on that people were doing this hack, all someone has to do is to pluck off that tow hook plug, and then they have access to the trunk and then can easily remove their Litronics or steal whatever is inside their trunk.

This hack has been mentioned on pretty much every Porsche board out there. I'm probably being overly cautious here, but there are several other ways of getting your front trunk open if your battery dies, so I figure why bother making it easier for thieves.

Boxtaboy, How do you open the front trunk when the battery is dead. Good to know. Thanks

Viper5 06-04-2010 07:31 PM

I always knew there was a cable for the front trunk, but I could never find the damn thing. Can somebody take a pic of where it's located?