Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2007, 02:05 PM   #1

Pre Purchase Inspection- How Much?

I am about to buy a private sale 2001 911.The car has only 25k miles , but I want to have it checked out , anyone have a ballpark figure on a PPI , particularly in North Jersey / NY area?

Thanks in advance....

dbth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
bmussatti

Sweet!

$300-$500?? for a PPI. Figure a dealership charges about $200/hour. So, a couple hours for the PPI?
Old 09-16-2007, 04:21 PM   #3

I just paid a bit over $200 for a PPI. I used Powertech in Rockaway, NJ -- right off Route 80. Powertech is a Porsche only shop.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #4

You guys are insane. A PPI should not cost anything near that (unless shop rates have gone up a ton out there - FWIW, the dealership shop rates in my area are ~$118/hr). Now, of course, it depends how thorough you want to get (i.e. leak downs, etc.). IMO, a leakdown is not needed on the Boxster. Most info will be gathered via diagnostics.

Anyway, a few years ago I looked at a car out that way. I had the PPI done at Cherry Hill (BTW, I'd recommend them, if the location works out for you). I know it didn't cost more than $175 - because that's the most I've ever spent and that was by some high end shop on the West Coast. IIRC, it was actually around $150. A shop that knows what they're doing should be able to perform a decent inspection in about 1 and 1 1/2 hours.

"It is better to enter a corner slow, and come out fast, than to enter a corner fast, and come out dead." - Sir Stirling Moss

Last edited by J-RAD; 09-16-2007 at 08:09 PM.
J-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RAD
You guys are insane....A shop that knows what they're doing should be able to perform a decent inspection in about 1 and 1 1/2 hours.
I assure you Powertech is among the best Porsche shops around. The OP should google them & check out their web site.

I felt they were incredibly thorough and professional. Told me everything - most of which I didn't care about (the tinest little things)... but the point is they noticed those tiny things.

I gladly paid my money to know the details of my car. Underneath, steering, brakes, engine, tires, etc. Also, a PPI is an opportunity to establish an on-going relationship with the shop of your choice...

When your buying a used car, its very comforting to hear someone who has done the diligence say "yep, you got a jem. You should jump on this one". That is worth $200...

I do agree $500 is high.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:04 AM   #6

Mike,

Thanks for the referal , I'm dropping it off tonight , $85 hour , they told me 2 1/2 max.

I will keep you updated.

DBTH
dbth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:33 AM   #7

Local dealer charges $250.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 07:32 AM   #8

One more general comment on PPI's, again I don't live out East so I have no idea about the shops out there but when looking for a place to do a PPI, it's important to find more than just a place that knows Porsches. A lot of places know Porsches. However, the number of places that really know that late model water-cooled models are much more limited. This is an important distinction. My advice, find a place that knows Boxsters.

"It is better to enter a corner slow, and come out fast, than to enter a corner fast, and come out dead." - Sir Stirling Moss
J-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote