Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2007, 09:10 AM   #1

change out shifter

hey all. i luv my 97 box. i put 2300 miles on it this summer pushing my total miles up to 11,000. while i luv the car, the stock leather covered shifter looks like an after thought and is cheesey. i purchased a carbon fiber replacement on ebay. how difficult is it to change out and what is involved? any help would be welcome.

aeh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:41 AM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
aeh123,

It is rather simple. The base of the shifter boot is attached to the console with tabs that you should be able to see on your new boot. Just use your fingers at the rear of the shifter boot and pull up. You should then be able to pull up and loosen the remaining tabs from the console. Then lift the shifter boot up and see if your shifter knob is attached with a set screw. If it is loosen the set screw and pull up on the knob, and reverse the procedure to install the new one. If there isn't a set screw just pull up on the knob and it will come loose.

Good luck and post some pictures of the new shifter and of your car.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:35 PM   #3

kool thanks for your help!

aeh123 is offline   Reply With Quote