Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2007, 10:13 PM   #1

Does physically using the key in door arm/disarm alarm?

If I opt not to use my remote to lock and unlock my door, and physically stick the key in the door to lock/unlock, does my factory alarm still arm/disarm?

Also, the transponder in the key has nothing to do with the alarm right? and only for the ignition immobilizer?

Third question that's kinda related to the second one. If I buy a new key, does it need to be programmed to work with the alarm? or the programming needed is strictly for the ignition immobilizer so I can start the car?

I guess to sum up what I want to ask is, is the ignition immobilizer independant from the alarm system?

I've been reading threads after threads of cases (both here and renntech) where people are locked out of their cars when the battery dies. This is so scary and I am afraid it will one day happen to me. Why did Porsche design the door and trunk locks by electrical only??! That is so stupid. They totally haven't given the owner a way to get into the car if and when the battery dies. Unbelievable

Last edited by kdub; 09-15-2007 at 10:39 PM.
kdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:41 AM   #2
bmussatti

Here are a few things that I know are in the owners manual:

If the car goes into "hibernation mode" and you unlock the doors with the key, you need to put the key in the ignition, and turn to the second position, or else the alarm will sound.

If you buy a new back-up key (good idea) yes, it needs to be programed by your dealership. Be careful buying new keys on e-Bay. They might not work.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:26 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
if you get a new key, make sure it has a tag on it. if it doesn't they will not be able to program it for you.

here is a brand new one, with the tag, for $100
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/pts/417817807.html
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 06:39 AM   #4

thank you for your replies but my questions wasn't about getting a new key per se, I am asking whether the Boxster's alarm system is independent from the ignition immobilizer. In other words, the whole idea of getting the key programmed, is it for the sake of turning the car on when I stick the key into the ignition? and/or so I can unlock/lock the door so I can arm the car?
Old 09-17-2007, 07:28 AM   #5

Kdub, the owners manual says the alarm system is switched on with either the key or the remote control. Best way to check it is to look at your LED on the front dash. If it flashes, the alarm is active. If after 10 seconds it emits double-flashes, then one of your contacts is not closed (usually the console between the seats). If it doesn't flash at all, it's not active.

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote