Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2007, 06:30 AM   #1

I didn't buy the Boxster

I went to an IRS auction today for a 2001 Boxster. This isn't like a regular auto auction, the Boxster was the only item being auctioned off. The car was in good shape and only had about ~10k miles. The car was towed in as the they are not allowed to drive it for liability reasons. However, they did run the car a few feet back and forth in the parking lot to show that it worked. The car needed to be jumpered as well.

I knew I wasn't going to have a chance at buying it, because there was about 50 bidders present. Given the risk of buying a car without a PPI or even test driving it, I figured the most I would bid would be $16k-- about $1k less than the trade in value.

Well, to my surprise the car sold for $25,500. This is well above the retail price. I guess some people just got caught up in the hype of the auction.

Here's the link --if its still active.

2001 Porsche Boxter; VIN WP0CA29841U620634;
irs link

kras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:03 AM   #2
bmussatti

Smart move. Keep looking, Kras, you will find a great car. You deserve it!
Old 09-14-2007, 08:02 AM   #3

wow that was not a smart bid. It's not an S, no HID, no 18" Wheels, interior was probably bare bones, etc.
Maybe there were some blood diamonds stashed in the airbag.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:09 AM   #4

Definitely smart move.

I got my 2001 back in December with 40k miles for $19k. I'd say that much, or less, would have been a decent deal on the car.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:28 PM   #5

The temperature is going to be dropping very shortly across most of the country and sales of all convertibles along with it. If you can hold out February should get you your best deal but I would think any time between Halloween and St Patty's Day will see a lot of hungry sales people out there.

Smart move on not buying at the auction.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote