Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2007, 12:35 PM   #1

Instead of a Carrera GT...

My father has been in the market for yet another car. He was looking at buying a Carrera GT but, after truly researching the car found that a clutch cost $20K on a CGT. It isn't practical to even drive around town, drives like a race car, and costs $300K+.

So...he ordered one of these and takes delivery next year.

...and bought this yesterday. It should arrive from NY on Sunday.

He still didn't spend what he would have on a Carrera GT.

yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #2

My opionion- the Audi interior looks like star trek enterprise and the ford GT is just plain ugly.

give me a raw 930 turbo!
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheracer
the ford GT is just plain ugly.

May you be struck down by lightening!

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:45 PM   #4

Id still rather have the carrera GT... even if you through in a F430 Ferrari... its just that amazing.
1987 928 S4 white on red and... dead
2004 Chevy Surburban... drinks gas like its cheap or something
easyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:51 PM   #5

The Ford is a very good car. However, I wouldn't touch the Audi for a bunch of reasons.

Nonetheless, it's a no brainer to take the Carrera GT over both of them. FWIW, the clutch does NOT cost $20K but it is still very expensive (w/labor ~$10K) and very special. You gotta pay to play.

I know a guy near me that drives his CGT several times a week during the summer as well as participating in DE's. Never an issue. He loves it. Same holds true with the other three owners I've talked to.

I think your old man kind of screwed the pooch on this decision...but, hey, it's not my money (unfortunately).

"It is better to enter a corner slow, and come out fast, than to enter a corner fast, and come out dead." - Sir Stirling Moss

Last edited by J-RAD; 09-11-2007 at 01:25 PM.
J-RAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #6

Ford GT ugly wow. I'm not an american car fan at all but, the Ford GT is an exception to that rule. It is truly a work of art and in one word I could describe it BEAUTIFUL. The Audi outperforms I believe the 997 Turbo and can be a daily driver right along with the 911.

He already owns 4 Porsches and a couple other exotics.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:09 PM   #7
bmussatti

Wow, great collection!
Old 09-11-2007, 01:26 PM   #8

If your pop is willing to shell out 300,000+ on a CGT, do you really think a 10-20k clutch replacement is going to bother him at all?

I'd personally have gone for a f430, gallardo, murci, or some sweet ruf
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:42 PM   #9
FIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL12
If your pop is willing to shell out 300,000+ on a CGT, do you really think a 10-20k clutch replacement is going to bother him at all?

oh, and you forgot the Veyron & Zonda
FIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #10

CGT is in SUCH a different league.. Think Enzo, F40 or F50 or McLaren SLR or F1.. The R8 and Ford GT are "second tier" in this league. That is not to say they are not nice cars.. just not the same either.

In Fact, I see the R8 having a very short shelf life as Porsche takes control of the VW group

I saw a FGT at a local dealer about 2 years ago. Their sticker price was $180.. I think Ford MSRP was only 140.. I asked him what they were thinking asking $40K over price.. I then asked about the oh, what was it, subframe or suspension issues and how they could STILL ask so much over sticker. The salesman told me "How do i knwo so much about this car" so i told him "I know how to read". He said I read to much.... Dick .. Needless to say not that Ford or any other Ford has made it into my garage.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #11

The Carrera GT...wow I'd get one. I would say the samewith it as I did with the Boxster. I've got the money and I'm going to try and own one. If it gets to expensive to maintain/service then I'll sadly sell.

The Ford GT, at the end of the day is still a Ford built car. Kind of like the C6 I drove. I was impressed at first and like the take off power, but at the end of the day it was still a GM. Pass.

But hey, I give credit to your Dad for getting two cars that will still give you a thrill when you hit the gas. We all have our own taste and wants. All but one or two of the people I know can't understand me buying the Porsche over other choices.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC986
The Ford GT, at the end of the day is still a Ford built car.
So was the original GT, which ate Porsches and Ferraris for lunch.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
So was the original GT, which ate Porsches and Ferraris for lunch.
Amen to that, my brother. Ford allowed Ferrari and Porsche to win races again, when bored of their complete and total domination, they packed up their stuff and went home.

Can you say 1,2 and 3?
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:43 PM   #14

Wow, those are two great cars, more power to your dad. Its great that he has the resources to be able to get them, may he enjoy them well,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #15

I don't know what ya'll are thinking but here are my feelings - my gut tells me that if I had an R8 right now and a CGT, the R8 would turn more heads.

That being said, R8+ F430 costs less than 1 CGT. I think the choice is clear! Drive an F430 while the R8 is broken and vice versa.

Heck, for a new price compare, R8+F430+Boxster < CGT
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #16
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-RAD
The Ford is a very good car. However, I wouldn't touch the Audi for a bunch of reasons.

Nonetheless, it's a no brainer to take the Carrera GT over both of them. FWIW, the clutch does NOT cost $20K but it is still very expensive (w/labor ~$10K) and very special. You gotta pay to play.

I know a guy near me that drives his CGT several times a week during the summer as well as participating in DE's. Never an issue. He loves it. Same holds true with the other three owners I've talked to.

I think your old man kind of screwed the pooch on this decision...but, hey, it's not my money (unfortunately).

J-RAD, why wouldn't you touch the Audi? I haven't driven one, but just about everything I've read on it says it's better than a 911. That's saying A LOT.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:13 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Congrats to your dad! That's a stable of bada55 cars.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:22 PM   #18
tkn

Yeah, the CGT just showed how much the HP wars have been pressing on the upper end of the market. When Camrys [sic?] are in the 6's, Lancers Evos are at 5, and cars like the M3 and Elise are really pushing the times even further down, it is hard to justify spending that much money on a car that is only in the mid 3s for 0-60 when a Ferrari will do it as well. I admit its Nurburgring times were absolutely amazing and made the car almost worth it (the GT2 manages similar times for much less), but most people just look at 0-60s or 0-100-0s in the US.

The face that the new Nissan GT-R is supposed to destroy everything else on the Ring is even more impressive and just makes the sports car wars even more ridiculous.

I love the CGT, but it was way too expensive for what it was. The Audi R8 is ridiculously hot, I am considering getting one myself to replace my Boxster, but I like the daily livability of my car...

All that being said, great choices in cars and much better than the standard F430 and Vantages I see around mostly.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL12

He already has a Gallardo, F355, 993 CT3, 996 Turbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC986
The Ford GT, at the end of the day is still a Ford built car.
Don't be so sure of that.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=01ONehtzJ2Y (2min 45 seconds)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer d
I saw a FGT at a local dealer about 2 years ago. Their sticker price was $180.. I think Ford MSRP was only 140.. I asked him what they were thinking asking $40K over price.. I then asked about the oh, what was it, subframe or suspension issues and how they could STILL ask so much over sticker. The salesman told me "How do i knwo so much about this car" so i told him "I know how to read". He said I read to much.... Dick .. Needless to say not that Ford or any other Ford has made it into my garage.
Yes the first production models had some suspension problems but, were recalled about 400 or so and fixed. Most supercars first year run has problems. MSRP in 2006, last year of production was $150K. They dropped off a couple months back and some sitting at $139K but, now they're on the rise again and only expected to gain value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer d
CGT is in SUCH a different league.. Think Enzo, F40 or F50 or McLaren SLR or F1
He's looked at the F40 several times and may buy one someday. Personally with a car of that caliber I'd prefer an F40 over a CGT. The F40 has been my dream car since I was a kid, my room was decorated in several different images of the F40. A couple years ago I got the pleasure of actually being able to sit in 140 something. The ultimate road going race car! I wanted to do backflips in this showroom but, I did a good job at containing myself.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:32 PM   #20
blkboxster

I also bought a forg gt, but i must say mine is much nicer
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-GT40-Replica_W0QQitemZ200148618181QQihZ010QQcategoryZ72 51QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem