Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2007, 12:26 PM   #1

Any ideas what this is/where it goes??

While trying to fix a problem with water soaking my drivers side door carpet (just under the speaker...STILL haven't found the problem!!) I was cleaning out the drain holes under the hood and found this part just sitting on the bodywork, next to the battery. Anyone know what it is and where it goes?

Thanks in advance,

Gord.

2001 Boxster S
Arctic Silver/Blue interior & roof
19' Porsche wheels
Litronics
Short shifter
Carbon fiber interior accents and gear knob
squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
bmussatti

Could the water be coming from a clogged drain line off the airconditioner system?
Old 09-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #3

I'm not sure to be honest, but I don't think so. It got wet the other week while parked at work and we had a torrential downpour. Then when I washed the car yesterday it got soaked again.

I've looked at a few "fixes" here and on other sites and they all mention the drains possibly being plugged up. I checked them all under the front hood (around the battery etc) and the holes under the soft top...couple of them were a little dirty but no major blockages.

I've also checked the drainage holes under the door and all are clear, no dirt/debris. The carpet isn't getting a little damp, it's getting soaked through big time, but it's just the area directly under the speaker about 4 inches long or so, the rest of the carpet is bone dry. The window seals all look tight also, can't see where it's coming from at all.

Then finding that part just sitting there added to the frustration lol.

Cheers, Gord.

2001 Boxster S
19' Porsche wheels
Litronics
Short shifter
Old 09-09-2007, 01:10 PM   #4
bmussatti

Squeak, make sure this water intrusion does not damage the computer under your drivers seat. This is big$$$$$.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #5

That's the elbow for the vent tube on the battery.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #6

A-ha! Just looked at the battery and indeed there is a tube connected to the battery, but there is already an "elbow" connected to it...all seems to be fine there. I'm guessing that there isn't another location for one of these elbows, this just might be a spare that was floating around or something?

Still no joy in finding out where this water is getting in from though. Just ran water over the door seal at the top/bottom, nothing came through and the carpet remained dry. Ran water through the drains and sure enough, it comes out on the floor of the garage. I may have removed a blockage the other day, not sure. I'm sure the next time it rains when I'm at work, or when I wash the car again, I'll find out for sure!

Oh yeah, I also checked out the floors under the seats...both are bone dry.

Cheers, Gord.

2001 Boxster S
19' Porsche wheels
Litronics
Short shifter
Old 09-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #7

As stated above, sure looks like part of the oem battery vent. Must guess is that your battery was replaced and that part stayed in the car.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:18 PM   #8

squeak, is this really YOU?

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2338296590098520108PCQZar
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 08:26 PM   #9

Is it really me??

Could be!

2001 Boxster S
19' Porsche wheels
Litronics
Short shifter
Old 09-10-2007, 04:22 AM   #10

That is the vent elbow. Many new batteries will come with an extra.

No worries.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:11 AM   #11

Garage
I had the same problem with the carpet being wet... and it cost me a computer...the cause ended up being a clogged drain and cracjked insulation around the softop when closed....

don't wait...get it fixed... $$$$

my 2 cents..

Michel.
fourniem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 08:01 AM   #12

Thanks for the replies guys about the vent elbow (glad it wasn't something I'd snapped off!) and about the carpet being wet.

Just been out to work and back in some pouring rain and NO leaks whatsoever this time, or any wetness on any of the carpets! I guess there must have been some sort of dirt/gunk in one of the drains and I cleared it the other day

Fingers crossed it doesn't come back...if it does I then have the mission of trying to find a reputable garage around here (Little Rock, AR) to get it looked at.

Cheers, Gord.

2001 Boxster S
19' Porsche wheels
Litronics
Short shifter
Old 09-10-2007, 09:47 PM   #13

Well, spoke too soon I guess

At work right now, went out to my car to get some paperwork and there had been a heavy downpour about half past seven...low and behold, the area under the speaker was soaked again.

I really thought after driving through all that heavy rain earlier today and the door carpet remained bone dry, that the problem was solved. Seems not.

Found a garage on-line that services Porsche/Audi here in Little Rock, I guess I'm gonna have to take it down to them and see if they can find the cause.

Cheers, Gord.

2001 Boxster S
19' Porsche wheels
Litronics
Short shifter
Old 10-11-2007, 03:06 AM   #14

Update...

Ended up taking the car to a Porsche Independant garage in downtown Little Rock. My wife remembered him being there from when she lived in the city years ago. Turns out he's been there for 34 years! Anyways, I checked him out and his garage has a good reputation (spoke to other customers who have been going there for years) and when I went down it was full of Porsche's, Jaguar's (couple of beautiful E-type's!) Land Rover/Range Rover's etc all being worked on...BUSY place.

Guy who owns the garage was very helpful, knowledgeable and friendly. Checked out the problem I had with the water leak and booked me in for the following week. He was almost certain, on initial inspection, that the window needed to be raised a little and that the A pillar/wing mirror needed to be adjusted inwards slightly. He guessed it would take about two/two and a half hours in total to fix.

Got the car back and all is well! He ran me through everything that he had done on the car, even removed the door panel again when I went to pick it up, to show me what he had done. Had me sit in the car while he ran water over the area that had been the problem to show me that there was no more water coming in where it shouldn't. All was good to go. He also checked all rubber seals and drainage holes for me, all were in good condition/clear.

At work that night we had a major downpour and I'm very happy to say that the car was bone dry when I went out to check a couple of hours later No more leak! Well happy with the service I received and it didn't cost me the world to get sorted...his labor charge is $78 an hour.

Cheers, Gord.

2001 Boxster S
19' Porsche wheels
Litronics
Short shifter