Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 03:34 PM   #1

Oil Change Emergency-pls Help!!

OK, let me preface this by saying that I have been changing my own oil for over 25 years, and have never, ever experienced any type of leak after changing the oil.

BUT, this is my first on our Box.

Followed the very easy Schilling instructions. I put the new gasket onto the oil filter casing, slid it past the threads, all the way down to the collar where it stops.

I screw it on, down to 24Nm. problem is that about halfway through the tightening with the torque wrench, I can see the gasket squeezing out from where the filter case is making contact with the engine block.

24Nm is not very tight, and i was fully expecting the gasket to compress, but it's like it's pushing it's way out all the way around, but yet, it was very snug when I slid it on to the casing to start with.

needless to say, I have a leak from the filter cup after starting the car.

I have more gaskets, but before trying this again, i was hoping someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Slight rant::::why can't the German's just use an oil filter like the rest of the world with a hard rubber gasket built right in?

thanks!

2002 Toyota Tundra 4x4-daily driver

Last edited by S_PILOT; 09-07-2007 at 03:36 PM.
S_PILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
Pat

Did you lube the gasket with oil first?
Old 09-07-2007, 04:03 PM   #3

Hi,

yes, I did, and now of course, there is plenty of oil on the gasket from the leaking
Old 09-07-2007, 04:57 PM   #4

so I tried again,

new gasket, lubed it, slid it down on the collar past the threads to where it bottoms out on the flange. made sure the gasket was laying snug on the collar and not trying to roll up onto the threads.

tightened to 24Nm, the gasket seemed to balloon a little, but not bad. started up and within 5 minutes, oil was leaking out of the top of the filter canister once again.

this is beyond unbelievable! This just can't be as hard as it seems. I have never encountered anything like this.

anyone have any idea?
Old 09-07-2007, 05:53 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i dont think you are supposed to slide it allll the way to the bottom.
there is a part right before the bottom where it should stay on.
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #6

DJ,

you saved the day! i didn't realize that the gasket actual goes up into the block and creates a barrier on the inner wall. I thought it formed a barrier between the filter and the engine block surface like a standard oil filter.

I couldn't tell where the gasket should go when I pulled off the old filter as the gasket rolled halfway up the threaded shaft of the canister as I unscrewed it.

wow, it's one of those things that once you know, you know.

dang, I hope I'm not the only one who has done this....
Old 09-07-2007, 06:39 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
glad i can help.

i just changed the oil in my car 3 days ago so i can remember. is the leak gone?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:08 PM   #8

oh yea, dry as a bone under the car now. idled it for about 20 minutes, let it cool, checked the level, then ran it again for about 20 minutes.

good thing I had extra M1. I needed it after removing the filter canister 3 times

It's the easiest thing in the world now that I see it.

perfect. thanks again!
Old 09-07-2007, 08:57 PM   #9
Track rat

Garage
Glad you solved it. Thread jack alert!. I couldn't help noticing you are a 2 sports car family. Just curious...Between the Boxter and Z06 we all know which is faster. Which one do you enjoy driving more?
Old 09-08-2007, 08:12 PM   #10

for me, it's not a close race-the Z06.

great everyday car, but it was built for the track. incredible horsepower for high speed, low end torque like there's no tomorrow to power through apexes, and the Nurbergring-tuned suspension is great through the twisties. It's loud, fast, with a body that certainly makes a statement. There's a reason quite a few Z06's show up at PCA track events.

I have wanted a Corvette all my life, and it really is a dream come true.

the Boxster S is primarily my wife's car. She loves red and wanted a convertible, so there was only one choice. I'm a 550 Spyder fan, and the 986 boxster follows the lines of that car very well, so we just had to have one.

I have had the Box on two road courses: Mid-Ohio and Watkins Glen. I did not like it even a little bit on either track. it may be that I am so used to a front engine, rear drive car, or it may be that I just don't know how to drive the S on a track. it's pretty quick, but the rear end just won't stay planted. it wanders through every turn-heavy yaw/body roll everywhere on the course. Feels like I'm driving on 3 wheels a lot of the time. The car is completely stock.

i will say, though, that the Box is very nimble. Has a very quick and accurate turn-in at corners, but the mushy rear-end kind of ruins it for me. If it was straight over-steering, that would be fine, but getting the car to rotate is realy hard for me.

After getting under the car to change the oil, I see that the rear anti-sway bar is as big around as my little finger! The car weighs just 200 pounds less than my Z06 and it has huge anti-sway bars compared to the Box. don't know if that's it or not, and like I said, I just may not know how to drive a mid-engine car on a track.

I have noticed at all my track days(about 60 events), that I have never seen a bone-stock boxster on the track, they have all been suspension modified for sure and sometimes a blower under the trunk.

but on the street, we have the best of both worlds. We have some great hill-country roads just south of us and sometimes we will take both cars and just rip up the twisties, switch cars and do it again!! There's nothing like open air motoring in a Porsche on beautiful days here in the Mid-West.

Oh, and build quality-that's not close either. the Corvette seems like it was made by 100 monkey's with air tools compared to the Boxster....

Last edited by S_PILOT; 09-08-2007 at 08:24 PM.