Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 11:55 AM   #1

Misfire

Hi'

I drove the car for a loong run today (200 Kms at approx 150 Km Pr Hour).
I then left it for 3 hours parked, picked it up drove about 30 minutes and stopped the car just for 2-3 minutes picking a person up ...

After the person got into the car I turned the key like before, but this time nothing happened. All lights came on and maybe it made a 'small sound' (hard to describe, maybe like air flowing)

But I didnt get the sound of the engine trying to start the car - and the engine just didnt come on.

I tried 2-3 times more took out the key checked everything (nothing seemed wrong, It's a tip so it has to be in P to start, but it was in P).

Next try it just started fine - no CEL and it drove without problems. I had a 200 Km run home, no problems really and when I got to the garage I tried turning it on and off again - again no problems.

I have to get it to a garage pretty soon anyways so is there something I should ask them to check out for me ?

Could it be the starter ?

Im curious, do you get occasional misfires like this - this is my first in 4 months ?

Thanks !

williamsF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #2

I had a similar problem with my 1997 Boxster on a ferry boat...
The starter was rebuilt for $120 and I've change the ignition switch ($20).
These repairs solved my problem.
The starter or the switches are not a big deal to remove
Good luck.

frederic is offline   Reply With Quote