986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Golf and Boxsters (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13021)

OldBlevins 09-04-2007 07:15 AM

Golf and Boxsters

I just can't believe this car. I played golf with some friends yesterday and gave one a ride to the course. When we got there, our other friends couldn't believe we came in the Boxster. We opened up the rear trunk and took out our two bags (though we had to pull the woods out of them and put them in the trunk separately). Then I opened the front trunk and pulled out my pull-cart. They were totally amazed. Me too.

As near as I can tell, Porsche designed the back trunk around golf club dimensions, and the front one around airline carry-on suitcase dimensions.

Now if I could just figure out how to make my guitar fit in a trunk... :cool:

skip_168 09-04-2007 07:41 AM

Hahaha!! I have the same deal!! My KZG staff bag fits in the rear trunk perfectly, like the trunk was designed for it!! I too have to remove the driver, but it just goes on top of the golf bag....

djomlas 09-04-2007 09:08 AM

i think it would be more of a sports car if they didn't fit, but o well...
i don't play golf so that doesn't matter to me.

funny, i was watching a episode of top gear,and they were trying to decide if a Jag, the 2 door one, is a sports car or not, or sporty at all, and they were like well if the trunk was just a bit smaller so that the clubs don't fit maybe, but not like this.

spark00 09-04-2007 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldBlevins
Now if I could just figure out how to make my guitar fit in a trunk... :cool:

i fit a guitar in that rear trunk a few weeks back. it was deep body Ovation accoustic in hard case. you can stick the head portion to the right side of trunk and rest of the guitar case slips in.

i need to figure out how to fit my snowboard and it would be perfect.

mn box s 09-04-2007 12:01 PM

I pulled the spare assembly out in the front 2in ground clearance with 19" x 30series tires. Gave me a lot more room up front. My 6'3" buddy fit crouched down... amazing.

OldBlevins 09-04-2007 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas

But, djomlas.... golf is a sport. :D

spark00, I just got a new flight case for my Alvarez acoustic dreadnaught - I'll give it another try.

Pilot2519j 09-04-2007 12:45 PM

Wow my tennis racquet fits too! Just amazing. :D

MNBoxster 09-04-2007 02:58 PM

Quote:

funny, i was watching a episode of top gear,and they were trying to decide if a Jag, the 2 door one, is a sports car or not, or sporty at all, and they were like well if the trunk was just a bit smaller so that the clubs don't fit maybe, but not like this.

Hi,

Gotta disagree. When Colin Chapman laid out the design requirements for the Lotus Esprit, one of the specific requirements was that the rear trunk accomodate a set of Golf Clubs. He knew the demographic of his customers and that this would aid in sales and marketing of the car.

I don't think too many people would say the Esprit is not viewed as a Sports Car, albeit a GT. I suspect Porsche may have had the same thing in mind with the Boxster...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

boxstershorts 09-04-2007 05:26 PM

OK guys! We have to delete this thread and swear never to speak of it again!!!

So repeat after me: The only place the clubs will fit is in the passenger seat, remember? You know, where our wives would NORMALLY sit, IF THERE WERE ENOUGH ROOM in the car!!!

zackwatt 09-04-2007 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilot2519j
Wow my tennis racquet fits too! Just amazing. :D

ROFL LOLOLOL :D :D :D :D

I love golf.

and you know what else I love?

TOP GEAR

power to ya, djomlas

We need some kind of Top Gear section of the forum, just a thought.

pierre shags 09-04-2007 09:26 PM

sporty trunks

Sports cars should functionally minimalist in size and look; the front & read decks should be sleek and low. Sporty cars like the beautiful jag xj8 wood look better if the trunks weren't so large. Corvettes' looks have been ruined for a generation by fat butts (not that I care about Corvettes). Rear engine Porsches are at least functional, but I find them humpy & ugly enough that I would never consider one, not for more speed, certainly not for prestige.

My 987 is so beautiful that I only show interest in expensive Italian jobs.

boxsterz 09-04-2007 11:22 PM

sportscar defined

I like this working definition of sports car:

a car you can take to the track in a pinch.

Pilot2519j 09-05-2007 04:53 AM

New Suggestions

Quote:

Originally Posted by zackwatt
ROFL LOLOLOL :D :D :D :D

I love golf.

and you know what else I love?

TOP GEAR

power to ya, djomlas

We need some kind of Top Gear section of the forum, just a thought.

I concurr with Top Gear and propose a new Far Side Section. While tennis is my thing and golfing is not I do recognize that we can coexist and I propose golf clubs in front trunk and tennis racquets in rear trunk thus the world is in perfect symmetry. The Ying - Yang in harmony :cheers: .

bmx672 09-05-2007 05:52 AM

So how did you get TWO bags in there? I can only manage one and my bag is not that big? I'm golfing this weekend before I go to a college football game. I'm going with a buddy and I figured that I would not have room... Maybe I should try something different?

OldBlevins 09-05-2007 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmx672
So how did you get TWO bags in there? I can only manage one and my bag is not that big? I'm golfing this weekend before I go to a college football game. I'm going with a buddy and I figured that I would not have room... Maybe I should try something different?

They're both pretty small bags. We took all the woods out first and laid them in mostly toward the rear in a single layer. Then we put the larger of the two bags in on top of them and pushed it as close to the spoiler as possible. Then we slid the 2nd bag in front of it and pushed down. There was still room for my golf glove, too. :cheers:

tomk17 09-05-2007 12:47 PM

2 Golf Bags...

Worse case, if you have a semi-rigid bag, put one bag and ALL of the clubs in the rear trunk. Then slightly bend the other empty bag and put it standing up in the front. Works fine.

shaman1204 09-07-2007 01:47 PM

"Now if I could just figure out how to make my guitar fit in a trunk..."

Buy a Baby Taylor. That's what I did, take it everywhere. The Koa one sounds the best and you can find some used ones on ebay for some decent prices.

wanna986 09-07-2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Do you have a link to the episode?

skip_168 09-14-2007 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lookingforboxster
OK guys! We have to delete this thread and swear never to speak of it again!!!

So repeat after me: The only place the clubs will fit is in the passenger seat, remember? You know, where our wives would NORMALLY sit, IF THERE WERE ENOUGH ROOM in the car!!!

I told my wife she can't go!!! Where would my girlfriend sit?!?!?!

for some reason, I am divorced now....:D

Boxter 09-14-2007 06:26 AM

...just played for the first time yesterday with the Box and two people in tow...

I was able to fit both a large sized rigid bag and a smaller bag in the back...while the drivers where kept up front with the passenger...not too intrusive.

First you have to put the top of bag #1(with the clubs projecting out) into one of the sides of the trunk, then drop in the bottom of the bag on the other side and push it forward against the engine wall. Then put the second bag with the clubs facing the opposite direction (in this case facing the driver's side of the car)using the same method...
I'll shoot a pic next time. It's fairly tight but it worked well.

I must say it was funny judging the reactions of others in the parking lot at the time as they watched me pull two bags from my the little two seater with the top down.