Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2007, 04:03 PM   #1

What Car Cover Are You Using?

As dumb as it seems, I've about decided to get a car cover. With the black paint even though it's in a garage I'm tired of cleaning it then and when I want to drive the S it's always dusty.

I'd like to have the Porsche one but can't sell myself on the price. Would a cheaper one be just as good as long as the fit was ok? What are yall using?

Old 08-31-2007, 04:12 PM   #2

While I love the color black (and other dark colors) on a car, wow is it nice owning a silver car! I haven't washed mine for over a month and it looks exactly the same as it would if I washed it. Sorry, I didn't help you one bit but at this point in life I don't have the time to clean a car like I once did. Come retirement, I'm back to black! Good luck in finding a good solution, I am envious of your car color.
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:13 PM   #3

Over the years I've had lots of covers... cheap Pep Boys junk, Evolution III, Evolution IV, Noah, you name it.

If you're really just looking to keep the dust off while indoors, there's no beating the Dustop. It's for indoor use only, but it's four layers to stop dust from getting through to your paint, while protecting your finish with a super-soft inner layer. It's not very compact, but it is robust so it'll protect your car from damage in those little garage mishaps. Google Dustop and you'll find lots of vendors.

The only thing I know of that's better is that inflatable car bubble thing. Very cool, but it takes up a lot of room.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 08-31-2007 at 05:17 PM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:38 PM   #4

I bought mine for both of my cars at Costco and it's only $30...but it's only use when i'm not going to use the car for days and will sit in garage

not planning to use the car cover outdoor
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:10 PM   #5

+1 Covercraft Dustop
choeglund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 06:42 PM   #6

Inflattable car bubble http://www.carcapsule.com/

I'm a bit worried if the vinyl can leave scratches because it has a contact with the car before inflating, otherwise I think it's a pretty good product for long storage.

Mine is $1500 from http://www.cover.co.jp/

I know it's expensive for a cover, but it's the only cover for the boxs that is actually made domestically (made in Japan - I don't like made in China products for lots of reason).

It has 3 layered cover (water proof polyester, water proof with heat permeable film, soft linen). It fits nicely for the boxs, tough on the outside and very fluffy on the inside!
Old 08-31-2007, 07:50 PM   #7

Dude,

You're saying $1,500 American Dollars for a car cover?!?! I think I pamper my cars as much as the next guy, but for $1,500 Jessica Alba would have to come over at night and put the thing on for me...naked...Zippers and buckles scratch.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:06 PM   #8

Grizz....you are crazeeyyyyyyy! ahahahahahahaha!
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 10:17 PM   #9

Hi,

I use the Porsche SilverGuard cover. Works great and I paid under $75 new w/ a Dealer discount coupon I was sent...

Happy Motoring!... Jim
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:00 PM   #10

+1 Porsche car cover. Mainly in the garage

I have had very good luck with Noah for vehicles that are outside primarily. It comes with a 4 year warranty.

2000 986
1979 911SC coupe
Raybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:27 AM   #11

I Bought the all-seasons car cover from porsche for the 987, metallic gray with the big color logo on the front.. beautifull
vipola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by threpwood
Inflattable car bubble http://www.carcapsule.com/

I'm a bit worried if the vinyl can leave scratches because it has a contact with the car before inflating, otherwise I think it's a pretty good product for long storage.
My dad bought one of those to store his 993 in. It sits in the garage at our lake house inside a car capsule. The vinyl doesn't scratch the car at all. It's a very impractical idea if you use your car more than once a week. If you're storing your car away sure it works great although the motor does make a bit of noise.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raybox
+1 Porsche car cover. Mainly in the garage

I have had very good luck with Noah for vehicles that are outside primarily. It comes with a 4 year warranty.

Hi,

I too have a couple of Noah custom car covers for both my Esprit and my 240Z. These cars are not stored outdoors, so it's maybe a little overkill. They do not scratch the cars whatever.

After 13 and 11 yrs. respectively, each has been washed several times in a commercial machine (but using only mild soap) and then air dried and these covers have held up great. It's a really good synthetic fabric and I would recommend them.

The reason I have the silverguard cover on the Boxster is that it was much less expensive than any custom aftermarket Noah covers I could find...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:34 AM   #14
Track rat

Garage
I use a total cheapie. About $30 at Wal Mart. It has been on when the car is garaged for 2 yrs and though a little tattered still keeps the car clean. I have not noticed any fine scratches from contact but I am not a concourse guy.

Jim, your garage looks an awful lot like mine right now.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:53 PM   #15

I bought mine from California Car Cover and it fits like a "glove". It really is just a dust cover but is stretchy and fits well, Only thing is I bought a red one to match the car and it left a red "fuzz" on the convertible top... I put it through the washer once and it solved that problem. I got the fuzz off the top with a sticky lint remover roller. I'm happy with the product.

2000 non-S Guards RED
Mostly stock-so far...
rear speakers
3 spoke
K+N
Red bumperettes
Speedster humps
Planning:
some stinkin' cup holders
rebeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:09 PM   #16

I have a flannel lined from Cover King. It leaves a lot of lint on my black top, but it's no big deal. It only goes on the car during winter storage.

Last edited by Adam; 09-07-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote