Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 03:10 PM   #1

Coolant smell in trunk

Hi'

I had a MEGA coolant leak 1 month ago and had my tank replaced, I think the mechanics cleaned up my trunk pretty well but no big wash as far as I know.

Anywas. Now everytime I drive the car and it gets warmed up fully the smell of coolant in the trunk compartment is VERY strong.

Is this due to a 'new leak' or because all the foam and carpets was soaked in coolant and now smells forever ?

The coolant isn't leaking it seems because the level is pretty constant and coolant level is not dropping (or so it seems). There is no condensation on top of the trunk lid over the caps.

Could this be a problem with the old cap ( serial ending with .00 ) ?

Do any of you guys experience this ?

98' Boxster TipTronic.

williamsF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:24 PM   #2

No condensation/leaks and lvls were they should be would leave me to think residue on the carpet/pad.
I can't recommend a carpet cleaner but there are folks here that could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsF1
Hi'

I had a MEGA coolant leak 1 month ago and had my tank replaced, I think the mechanics cleaned up my trunk pretty well but no big wash as far as I know.

Anywas. Now everytime I drive the car and it gets warmed up fully the smell of coolant in the trunk compartment is VERY strong.

Is this due to a 'new leak' or because all the foam and carpets was soaked in coolant and now smells forever ?

The coolant isn't leaking it seems because the level is pretty constant and coolant level is not dropping (or so it seems). There is no condensation on top of the trunk lid over the caps.

Could this be a problem with the old cap ( serial ending with .00 ) ?

Do any of you guys experience this ?

98' Boxster TipTronic.
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:38 PM   #3

I have the same thing although maybe not THAT bad of a smell... I think next time I get out the hose to wash it, I'll just take the carpets out and drench them awhile...
trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:07 PM   #4

Definitely get the upgraded cap. The one with the part number ending in "01".

I was getting a weak coolant smell and temps were very slightly elevated until I changed my cap. I don't think my old cap was holding full pressure and venting into the trunk.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:46 PM   #5

There is foam insulation next to the tank. My insulation was soaked from the coolant leak. I pulled it away and let it dry before I put the floor and carpet back in. You can see the foam in the left side of the picture after I pulled it away from the tank.

There was a slight smell after the tank replacement, but it went away. No clue about your smell. Maybe you should just give it some time.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 06:37 PM   #6
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I had a leaking coolant tank replaced by the dealer about 2 yrs. ago, and for the longest time, after I drove the car for a while, the trunk would smell like coolant. No leaking or anything, but like Tool Pants said, there probably was leftover residue of coolant dried up on the carpet foam in the trunk near the coolant tank. The smell is almost all gone now.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:17 AM   #7

thanks thank thanks everyone...

kickass forum - so many opinions !

Worst part is I went to Porsche in Denmark, their official shop and asked them to buy a updated cap.

They didnt have one and said it would be foolish to upgrade it, they didnt know of a .00 or .01 problem at all.

This is one of Europes biggest Porsche Centers.

Any clue where I can buy it online from inside Europe ?
williamsF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 03:16 AM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsF1
thanks thank thanks everyone...

kickass forum - so many opinions !

Worst part is I went to Porsche in Denmark, their official shop and asked them to buy a updated cap.

They didnt have one and said it would be foolish to upgrade it, they didnt know of a .00 or .01 problem at all.

This is one of Europes biggest Porsche Centers.

Any clue where I can buy it online from inside Europe ?
I would just walk right up to the parts department and ask them to order the cap for you by the part number. It's the same part number that's listed on your present cap, but with an 01 at the end instead of 00.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote