Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2007, 04:33 AM   #1

2008 Boxster

So what's the deal with the '08 Boxster? I saw spy pics of the '08 with revised front and back ends, including LED taillights, but I just came across an '08 Boxster for sale that is identicle to the '07 models.

So is Porsche going to wait for the '09 model year to make the changes, or will they change them some time in the middle of the year?

Even Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:20 AM   #2

I'm not sure what makes it an "08", but the new Boxster is supposed to come out at the Frankfort Auto Show on September 13th. It may have DFI for a little more power and better gas mileage. I'm holding off buying until then, because I figure that will help reduce the price of the 07s.
kras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 06:59 AM   #3

Model Year Changes for '08 are minor

Model Year ‘08 Revisions

Changes to all Models

NAVIGATION IMPROVEMENTS
• For MY2008, all Porsche models equipped with PCM also incorporate functionality previously called “Extended Navigation”.
• Functionality includes:
– automatic route recording,
– backtrace navigation.
– off-road navigation.
• Extended Navigation useful on-road navigation aid: when customer encounters areas not yet mapped, or where roads have changed.
• Private subdivision in a lake or resort community? New neighborhood not yet on the map? Your customer simply sets a waypoint on the way in, and retraces it to find their way home.
• Pilots and Yachtsmen see a compass as a necessity; Extended Navigation has one.
• As of Summer 2007, all models will be equipped with updated map data for all regions.

SERVICING INTERVALS
Due to international fuel issues, for Model Year 2008, Servicing Intervals are:
North America
• Oil change: 12,000 miles/20,000 km-1 year.
• Spark plug Change: For naturally aspirated engines: 36,000 miles/60,000 km-4 years.
• Spark plug Change: 911 Turbo, and GT3/GT3 RS: 24,000 miles/40,000 km-4 years.
These figures are maximum values for the Cayenne (V6). The actual need for maintenance in this vehicle is calculated and shown in the multi-purpose display.
Mexico, Central, and South America
• Oil change: 6000 miles/10,000 km-1 year.
• Spark plug Change: For naturally aspirated engines: 18000 miles/30,000 km-4 years.
• Spark plug Change: 911 Turbo, and GT3/GT3 RS: 12,000 miles/20,000 km-4 years.
Changes to Sports Cars

NEW COLORS
MY08 Exterior Colors, Sports Cars:
Standard Colors
• Carrara White
• Guards Red
• Black
• Speed Yellow
Metallic Colors
• Arctic Silver Metallic
• Basalt Black Metallic
• Cobalt Blue Metallic
• Meteor Grey Metallic
• Macadamia Metallic – New! (replaces Atlas Grey Metallic, which moves to Special Colors)
• Forest Green Metallic
• Ruby Red Metallic – New! (replaces Carmona Red Metallic)
• Midnight Blue Metallic
Special Colors
• Malachite Green Metallic – New! (replaces Dark Teal Metallic)
• Atlas Grey Metallic – (Moved from Metallic colors; replaces Lapis Blue Metallic)
• Dark Olive Metallic
• Slate Grey Metallic
• GT Silver Metallic
• Orange (GT3 RS and Special Edition Boxsters only)
• Green (GT3 RS only)
Interior Colors:
Standard Colors
• Black
• Stone Grey
• Sand Beige
• Ocean Blue
Special Colors
• Terracotta
• Cocoa
• Black and Stone Grey
• Black and Sand Beige – 997 only (not available for 987)
• Black and Terracotta - 997 only (not available for 987)
• Natural Leather Dark Grey
• Brown
• Carrera Red – New! (replaces Standard color Palm Green, which is discontinued)
Convertible Top Colors:
Standard Colors
• Stone Grey
• Metropolitan Blue
• Cocoa
• Black

BOXSTER / BOXSTER S “ORANGE” EDITION
Note: Preliminary Information Subject to Change.
• Two special limited-edition Boxster models.
• Characterized by a GT3 Orange exterior color.
• Other special equipment will also be offered.
• Note that we are calling these Special Editions “Orange” models as internal designation only.
• Exterior of 2008 Special Editions will be brilliant GT3 Orange, and further distinguished by a standard SportDesign package.
• External trim elements may be finished differently than previous Boxsters.
• Wheels are expected to be 18-inch for Boxster, 19-inch for Boxster S.
• Interior trim likely to be distinctively finished, with selective use of Alcantara.
• Limited Edition marking plate to appear in the interior.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:39 AM   #4

• External trim elements may be finished differently than previous Boxsters.

Okay, so what does that mean? The spy pics all show the revised front and rear fascias for the Boxster, but the '08 model I saw was identicle to an '07.

So does anyone know the real deal? When can we expect the changes? Does Porsche ever update in the middle of a model year? Maybe the '08.5 Boxster will be different?
Old 08-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #5

You're probably looking at '09 for the fascia and light changes. '08 is just a minor refresh. I also saw rumor of matte-black side vents for the '08, but no one's reported seeing or hearing about that yet.

Just shows what the internet's good for!

I'm more interested in the service interval changes that mikefocke posted! Is that retroactive!? Has Porsche finally admitted that a 20,000-mile service interval is pretty insane?
Old 08-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #6

Some pictures of the '08 Orange:

http://www.autoblog.com/gallery/2008-limited-edition-porsche-boxster-and-boxster-s/346792/

The details from autoblog:

"The 2008 Porsche Limited Edition Boxster that was first shown privately at the New York Auto Show last April will go on sale this September with a base price of $49,990 (Original MSRP $45,800). The higher-performance Limited Edition Boxster S, meanwhile, will start at $59,990 (Original MSRP $55,700).

Dipped in the same eye-popping orange paint as the 911 GT3 RS, the Limited Edition Boxsters also feature the SportDesign package that adds front spoiler lips, a new automatically extending rear spoiler, and slightly altered rear trim to allow for an integrated diffuser. Add to that standard 18-inch black alloy wheels (19-inch for the Boxster S) and additional black trim pieces on the exterior, and you've got a fairly stunning exterior package that overshadows a garden variety Porsche Boxster with ease.

Black carries over to the interior where it's applied to most surfaces including the seats, carpet, dash and door panels. The interior is also trimmed with Alcantara and additional pieces that match the exterior's orange body color. And while the motors in both cars were left alone, each gets a new sport exhaust system that may liberate some extra power by offering less restriction.

The 2008 Porsche Limited Edition Boxster and Boxster S officially go on sale September 28th, and since Porsche is only building 500 examples, you may want to get your deposit in now."
Sain0rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
... '08 is just a minor refresh...
The '08 I looked at wasn't even a minor refresh. It was exactly the same as the '07...no differences at all.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:30 PM   #8

By "minor refresh" I really meant "not much different". My understanding is that there are different color choices and supposedly that thing with the air vents, but I'm hearing that that turned out to not be true.

Oh, and the "ECO" switch supposedly now says "AC ON" or something more sensible.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:52 AM   #9

What about the Direct Sequential Gearbox (DSG)? That's what I'm waiting for. If you haven't driven one, go to your local VW or Audi dealer and drive a GTi or TT with the DSG transmission. It is the best transmission ever made, in my opinion.

It is a completely different and far superior execution than the BMW or Ferrari versions, and it is nothing like the torque-converter equipped look-a-likes running around.
iflyadesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:03 AM   #10

I have actually seen mock-ups of the next generation Boxster. Unfortunately, I also had to sign an NDA so I can’t say anything about it!

How is that for a useless post?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
I have actually seen mock-ups of the next generation Boxster. Unfortunately, I also had to sign an NDA so I can’t say anything about it!

How is that for a useless post?
There are pictures all over the Internet of the next Boxster; however, I'm not exactly sure if it will be consider the "next generation" Boxster. The pics I looked at had rounded air intakes in front with strips of white LEDs. The headlights look like they might be shaped a bit differently. The rear end definitely looks different, with a sort f air diffuser look down low and LED taillights.

The problem is that I like the current styling of the 987 much more than the pics I see on the Internet. I'll probably buy one sooner rather than later if the changes are coming soon. If the '08 model year is identicle to the '07 model year, then I have some time. If not, I'm pretty much screwed if I want to order a car with my own specific color and options.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:35 PM   #12

Yeah, I'm not sure I'm down with the refresh I've seen in the spy picture either. From the Shrek-Ear side mirrors to the happy-japanese-eyes tailights (you know, the whole ^^ thing) , it just doesn't look right.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:52 PM   #13

Okay, so here's some pics of an '08 Boxster for sale. It looks like no cosmetic changes for '08:

http://chicagosportscars.com/cars/?id=13136
Old 08-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #14

According to this article:
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/porsche/porsche-boxster-ar26774.html

the 2008 Boxster will be revealed at the Frankfurt Auto Show. The show starts Sept 13. I have no idea if the article is accurate or not, but assuming it is, I would guess the "new" Boxster with changes would be available a few months later.

I can't imagine this article is referring to the 2009 model. That seams like it would be showing the model too early (I haven't followed Porsche long enough to know if they would do this). Either way, after they show the new Boxster with more HP and other improvements, the 2007 should be a little harder to sell -- and maybe better pricing.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:50 PM   #15

Notice the date on that article. That's one of the really early rumor articles that got people talking about the changes in the first place. Came out before any spy shots even.

I doubt the information is very accurate. The 2008 Boxster is already here and none of those changes occurred.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Even Steven
Okay, so here's some pics of an '08 Boxster for sale. It looks like no cosmetic changes for '08:

http://chicagosportscars.com/cars/?id=13136

hmmmm...I swear I just drove next to that car on the road today....same dealer...same rims..same color and everything.....

pretty interesting scenario, I sped up to get a closer look at the painted roll bars while a guy in a silver 986 caught up to me....chatted with the guy in the 986 for a bit at a light....cool guy......the guy in the 987 never acknowledged us or anything....not everyday you are sitting 3 straight across at a stop light....987 owners I guess are just....wait, that's me too.....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:42 AM   #17

Question Confused about 2008 picture

In looking at the car on the lot via the link on super66's post, somethings don't appear to match Porsche's current corporate 2008 info. Specifically, (1) the mgp on the sticker at 20/29 for a manual vs corporate's 23/32; the side lights on the front are amber like the 07 and earlier Boxsters, while the 2008 on the corporate pages have clear side lights.

Last edited by jwdbox; 08-16-2007 at 11:24 AM.
jwdbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:01 AM   #18

Here's some recent pics of the 2008 Boxster
http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/porsche/spy-shots-2008-porsche-boxster-and-cayman-facelift/

Old 08-16-2007, 11:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdbox
In looking at the car on the lot via the link on super66's post, somethings don't appear to match Porsche's current corporate 2008 info. Specifically, (1) the mgp on the sticker at 20/29 for a manual vs corporate's 23/32; the side lights on the front are amber like the 07 and earlier Boxsters, while the 2008 on the corporate pages have clear side lights.

The EPA has a new way of calculating fuel economy figures. The numbers shown on the new '08 model are lower because of that reason. In fact, all new cars have lower MPG numbers on their window stickers now.... and U.S. Boxsters always come with amber markers...it's the law.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:19 PM   #20

Kras, actually I believe that picture is of the Boxster formerly known as 2008-but-pushed-back-to-2009. The 2008s are on the lots with no changes to speak of from the 2007s, as other responses have pointed out.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote