Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2007, 05:45 AM   #21

Wow, I am glad you guys all sounded off. I didn't get a chance to read many of these since I was out driving the new Boxster all weekend! Besides the slight lack of torque in the new one, it appears to be a better car in every way. I went with an 07, sport package-6sp-pasm-sport chrono-zenon-and so on. Let me tell you, this baby in sport mode sticks like glue on the road, and is really snappy with the throttle. Thanks for all the replies, but I went ahead and made the switch, if I can't stand it, so far that isn't the case, I will step up to the new S in 09!

Old 08-13-2007, 06:57 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
congrats man, you leased it?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:29 AM   #23

FWIW guys, remember that peak horsepower doesn't matter as much as the area under the curve. It is, after all, kinetic energy that makes things move.

And, at least on a race track, horsepower matters far less than suspension and tires. My Spec Miata was 6 seconds a lap faster than my 02 Boxster S at Pueblo Motorsports Park despite the Porsche having 150 more horsepower.

And the interior of the 987 is an order of magnitude higher quality than the 986. I'm just waiting for the DSG before I pull the trigger on a new one.
iflyadesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:31 AM   #24

Yep, I leased it. This will allow me the lower payments, and i never have to worry about being upside down in the thing. I go through cars so fast, it's really the best option for me. I put my 19" Rugers on it, but the rear tires are a little too small. I have new ones on order that will be here tomorrow, and will take some pics and post them then.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:40 AM   #25

I almost forgot, this means I have two fresh 275/30/19" Toyo TR1's for sale in the clasified section for any of you running 19's on your 986. These only have 2500 miles on them. $ 325 shipped.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:33 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflyadesk
FWIW guys, remember that peak horsepower doesn't matter as much as the area under the curve. It is, after all, kinetic energy that makes things move.

And, at least on a race track, horsepower matters far less than suspension and tires. My Spec Miata was 6 seconds a lap faster than my 02 Boxster S at Pueblo Motorsports Park despite the Porsche having 150 more horsepower.

And the interior of the 987 is an order of magnitude higher quality than the 986. I'm just waiting for the DSG before I pull the trigger on a new one.
I believe we all already stated that the 986S has more torque than the 987 and yes, that's where you get all your area under the curve so i believe we're all in agreement.

As for suspension, I found the 987 be much more taught and aggresively tuned than the 986. With PASM, even more so. I'll state that I never drove a 986 with any sport suspension options though.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:33 AM   #27

OK, my wife has been gone all week, so tha means I have been driving the new car! I have to say, after driving this thing for a couple of days, I made the right choice. I don't know what it is, but this car feels quicker than the 01. The 01 defeinately felt more torq-ee, but this thing actually feels like it gets down the road faster. I am sure it doesn't, but it feels like it does. If you are remotely interested in the 987 body style but can't put the scratch together for an S model, a base with the 6spd runs nice. I am sure there is no comparison to the new S, but I would say this is a better car all around than the 01 S we used to have. Try it, you'll like it!
Old 08-16-2007, 07:12 AM   #28

"First I had none, now I have two. What was I thinking?"

Hmm. So you say you don't have the 986 anymore, so I can only assume your signature line is referring to wives.

What ARE you thinking, man!? It can't be done! It just can't. be. DONE. RUN AWAY.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:44 PM   #29

It can be done, but most don't live to tell the tale. Nope I was actually refereing to Porsches. I first obtained a 914-6, and then a Boxster S. i got rid of the 986 S for a 987 that matches my 914-6!
Old 08-16-2007, 03:11 PM   #30

If you put the amber turn-markers under your pillow before you go to sleep, when you wake up, the Euro-spec Fairy will have replaced them with the clear markers.

Assuming you've been a good boy.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:08 PM   #31
boxsterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkgonza2
... I believe that most of us own these cars because of how they look and make us feel. If you can upgrade to a 987 i would do it in a heartbeat, the 987 looks ( in and out ) and feels much better than the 986. By the way, I owned an ' 02 and just took delivery of my base '08 with tip, and in my opinon there is no comparison.

Um I guess I'm in the minority. I bought it because it handles like a mofo in transitions, and I love the way I can point the car with the throttle (torque baybee!). Looking good doing it is just icing. On a side note, I don't want a BIGGER sports car if I can help it.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:33 AM   #32
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxsterz
Um I guess I'm in the minority. I bought it because it handles like a mofo in transitions, and I love the way I can point the car with the throttle (torque baybee!). Looking good doing it is just icing. On a side note, I don't want a BIGGER sports car if I can help it.
Me too. I love the way this car handles and rewards.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:15 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
I believe we all already stated that the 986S has more torque than the 987 and yes, that's where you get all your area under the curve so i believe we're all in agreement.
Area under the curve and peak torque are not the same thing. My point was not that a higher torque number will give you better area under the curve. You have to look at the entire dynometer graph. You only make peak power at a single rpm level. However, you only drive the car at that engine speed for an infinitesimal period of time. Therefore, what really matters is the collection of all powers at different engine speeds, or more accurately the height times the width. If you decrease the widths to an infinitesimal size and sum over the entire range of usable rpms, you get the integral of the power, which is energy. This is what makes the car go... not peak horsepower or peak torque.
iflyadesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:52 AM   #34

I didn't say "peak" torque and I don't think people were talking about peak torque. I was saying that the 986S would have more torque in general. It's a larger-displacement engine, that's what it really comes down to. So you're right, but you're also not disagreeing with anything that's been said before.