986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   aftermarket CD & Immobiliser (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12517)

Chippy 08-04-2007 01:34 PM

aftermarket CD & Immobiliser

Hi all

Just a quick question.

I've replaced the standard CD player in my '02 boxster (CDR22) but i'm guessing that this prevents the immobiliser from working (?), as i get the two flashes off the indicator lights and the beep of the horn.

Does anyone know if it's possible to sort this out somehow?

Thanks

Tool Pants 08-05-2007 12:42 PM

Did you replace the radio head with an aftermarket radio?

Rodger 08-05-2007 12:53 PM

When you remove the factory stereo, on the left you'll see a small grounding contact that touches the head unit when it's installed. The reason you're getting double beeps is because of the absence of this ground. Restore it and the problem should be fixed.

Chippy 08-05-2007 02:05 PM

Yes I changed the CDR-22 for a Kenwood CD/MP3 unit.

I didnt see any grounding wires, only a couple of wiring blocks that seem to be CDR-22/porsche specific?

I dont get a double beep, just the usual double indicator flash and one honk?

Tool Pants 08-05-2007 02:39 PM

Look at your oem radio. It has a plastic insulator on the side, for the radio alarm contact. Your aftermarket radio does not have this insulator. That is why you hear a beep when you set the alarm.

2 choices. You put tape on your aftermarket radio in the area of the insulator on the oem radio. Or, you disconnect the wire to the alarm contact for the radio.

Or, leave it alone. Some people like to hear a beep when the alarm is set. The alarm still works, just not the alarm for the radio.

Chippy 08-06-2007 10:54 AM

Ah, a picture says a thousand words.

Well i gave that a go and put a 1" square bit of insulating tape, two layers, but still get the beep.

As long as the alarm/immobiliser still works for the car itself, then i guess I can live with the beep of the horn.

In fact actually prefer the beep, as it can be difficult to see the indicators flash in bright sunlight and the central locking it far quieter than my old car!

Cheers anyway guys.

Tool Pants 08-06-2007 01:19 PM

The metal alarm contact presses hard against the side of the radio. When you slide the radio back in in the tape can peel away or get cut by the alarm contact. If the contact then touches the body of your aftermarket radio then you get the beep.

That is why the oem radio has a recessed plastic insulator. You can see in my picture the crease from the contact.

Live with it or disconnect the wire from the radio alarm contact. As I said, some people actually like it.

lukewest 07-24-2011 06:48 AM

That stopped the beep!

Great to see the original post. I have a totally original Boxster s (now slightly less, but the music was not good enough)

On the left hand side of the space for the Becker unit, there is a flat plate with a pin on it. I used a piece of plastic cut to fit, slid between the new head unit (Parrot Asteroid, which fits beautifully) and the side of the mount. Then gaffered into place to stop it moving.

This totally fixed the problem.

Thanks for the info.

:cheers: