Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2007, 08:46 PM   #1

Collant dripping 2000 Boxster

2000 Boxster

I walked outside and found my boxster was leaking coolant/water. It seemed to have leaked about 3/4 quart. It was coming from the passenger side (front side of back wheel) and the middle. I opened the trunk to see the coolant/water level and it was below low. I put some water in it and drove for about 5 minutes and then parked. 3 hours later, only 1 drip.

Any ideas or recommendations? I called a mechanic and he said to keep an eye on it. Anyone experience someone similar?

I'm planning a 200mile road trip tomorrow, not sure what to do???

thanks,
khaluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 08:48 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i dont know about a 200 mile trip with coolant problem just starting man
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:47 AM   #3

check the carpet lining in the trunk...if it's all wet, then your coolant tank may be leaking. Otherwise, I would first change the coolant cap. Make sure you have the coolant cap that ends with part number O1. The old style is OO and can leak. So I think part number is something like 996.....01. It's like $20 or so.

I would not travel 200 miles with a coolant problem until I figure it out. You are better off getting a cheap rental car.
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:52 AM   #4

I had a similar eevent occur, leak was in the same area and almost all the coolant drained out. It turned out to be the cap on the coolant tank. Cheap repair.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:43 AM   #5

Had the same problem. I replaced the cap even though I had the newer cap. Had the system flushed and bled all the air out and replaced the thermostat. It took 1 full day for the work and 1 full day for porsche to get the parts in.

Mine started as a slight leak, but once air was in the system it got hot fast. I would rent-a-car for the road trip if the box is your only option.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:24 PM   #6

What about the pump/

How many miles does it have on it...

At 60K miles the water pump has a reputation of giving up...Mine did at 63K miles and started with a drip and went to a full leak!...Some lady pulled up to me at a stop light and told me my car was leaking green fluid...I did a bee-line for my mechanics shop...

He told me 60k is the typical swapping point for a water pump..

If you have the old cap you need to get the new one as well....if you open the trunk and the cap is blue,you have the old one. the new one is black...If you have a leak in the trunk with the black cap, the you need a new tank, because you have probably cracked it. My mechanic tells me that it happens.
Dohertycm is offline   Reply With Quote