986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Uh-Oh (Scratch) (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12197)

JCL12 07-14-2007 08:06 PM

Uh-Oh (Scratch)

Story: While driving over a rather large speed bump, I was moving maringally faster than normal. I hear a crunching noise (DO'h). Under my car, it appears I have scratched up one of the low-hanging steel bars near the rear axle. Not a big issue since I can't see it without getting on my hands and knees, but will this spot be highly prone to corrosion? (roads = very salted in upstate NY)

Paul 07-14-2007 08:13 PM

Be more worried about it being bent. I'd have it looked at.

JCL12 07-14-2007 08:26 PM

With visual inspection, nothing seems to be bent. I drove the car a bunch afterwards and noticed no differences.

Is this going to pose a corrosion problems?

Also - worst case (pretend something is bent), what is the typical cost of a fix?

Adam 07-15-2007 06:15 AM

If you are worried about rust, you could treat the area with a rust preventative. You could find those at auto-parts/hardware stores. What exactly hit on the underside of the car? I believe many suspension bits like the control arms are actually aluminum so rust may not be an issue anyway.

JCL12 07-15-2007 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam
If you are worried about rust, you could treat the area with a rust preventative. You could find those at auto-parts/hardware stores. What exactly hit on the underside of the car? I believe many suspension bits like the control arms are actually aluminum so rust may not be an issue anyway.

Adam,

What I scratched was a low (probably the lowest) clearance part of the car. It looked like a tubular metal bar that attached itself near both of the rear wheels. It is the part with the white "made in germany" sticker. Do you know what part I am attempting to describe is?

Also, do you advise that next time I get the oil changed or new tires, I have them spray that area?

Thanks for the advice! :)

djomlas 07-15-2007 08:16 AM

looks like you scratched your sway bar.
even if oyu wanted to replace the whole part its not that expencive

JCL12 07-15-2007 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djomlas
looks like you scratched your sway bar.
even if oyu wanted to replace the whole part its not that expencive

This is what I like to hear :) .

So bottom line - I scratched my 'sway bar' and it is not expensive to replace. As a result, I can let it corrode away and get scratched more and when it is in disgraceful shape, I can then inexpensively (relatively) replace it?

Also - from a parts+labor aspect, what do these things cost to place?

Adam 07-15-2007 08:31 AM

I agree, sounds like the sway. You could probably get that treated/painted without removing it if care is taken to mask off surrounding areas. Ideally, it should be removed and painted or maybe replaced if it's more than just a cosmestic scratch. Depending on the hit it took, you may want to have a qualified mechanic take a look see and see if it was tweeked.

JCL12 07-15-2007 01:51 PM

Quote:

I agree, sounds like the sway. You could probably get that treated/painted without removing it if care is taken to mask off surrounding areas. Ideally, it should be removed and painted or maybe replaced if it's more than just a cosmestic scratch. Depending on the hit it took, you may want to have a qualified mechanic take a look see and see if it was tweeked.

It was a light hit and I don't think it is severely damanged. Do you know if the sway is steel or aluminum? I am more worried about the exposed surfaces corroding easily.

Also - got a rough guess as to how much it would cost to completely replace?

Adam 07-15-2007 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCL12
It was a light hit and I don't think it is severely damanged. Do you know if the sway is steel or aluminum? I am more worried about the exposed surfaces corroding easily.

Also - got a rough guess as to how much it would cost to completely replace?

They are steel. I'm not sure how much they cost, but I would definately avoid buying through the dealership. Try a search on google and see who sells oem sways for the boxster.

Paul 07-16-2007 06:48 PM

Sway bars are pretty tough. If you are sure that's all that was hit, don't worry about it.

Post a picture and we can better help you.

blinkwatt 07-16-2007 06:54 PM

Quote:

They are steel. I'm not sure how much they cost, but I would definately avoid buying through the dealership. Try a search on google and see who sells oem sways for the boxster.

I have a rear sway bar from an 99' 5spd w/ bushings. Contact me if you want it for dirt cheap.