Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #1
DBO

Help! Weird Idling

Hi All,

I have a 2002 Boxster N/A and am having some idling issues. When the car is stopped (like at a stop light), the idle fluctuates erratically. It would fluctuate between 1000 and drop down to 500 every 1-2 seconds continuously. When it drops down low it gets to the point of feeling like it will die out.

This has been progressively getting worse over the year. I've actually taken it to the local dealerhip here in San Jose, CA three times. Every time they said that they didn't know what the issue was and that it was not the O2 sensor. The rep said that they did not know unless they took apart the car and diagnosed it. His guess was the flywheel.

It just didn't sit with me so I took it to an outside shop specializing in European cars. I paid for a $150 diagnostic and the technician said it was the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF). I agree to change it thinking it would finally fix the issue. However after having it changed and test driving the car, the issue was not fixed. I call the shop again and they said to take it back in so they can have a look. The owner seems honest since he said ahead of time that if the MAF replacement didn't fix the problem he would swap it back out and not charge me.

I just want the issue fixed. Does anyone have any ideas???

Thanks!
-Danny

DBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 06:39 AM   #2

They need to perform a Throttle body cleaning. Bring it back to the garage which replaced the MAF.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 07:40 AM   #3

it sounds to me like a vacum tube leak.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 08:49 AM   #4

A few possibilities:

Dirty throttle body
Vacuum leak
Dirty injectors
Dirty MAF

You can search over on Renntech for the DIY for removing and cleaning the throttle body. It's a little more involved than cleaning the MAF.

Probably start buy dumping a bottle of Techron in your next tank. Clean the MAF with some MAF cleaner or electronics cleaner and see how it runs. Of course, check the engine bay for hose connections. Make sure they're all good, and inspect for any cracks.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:58 AM   #5
DBO

I'll give it a try

I really appreciate the help! Hopefully getting what looks to be maintenance done will fix the issue.

DBO is offline   Reply With Quote