Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2007, 04:01 PM   #1

Unhappy Locked out of front trunk

Hi: I am new to this forum and am new to Boxsters.

I have a 98 Boxster that I purchased last fall and have a problem getting it going again after storing it for the winter.
The battery has gone flat. The problem is that I can not operate the front trunk lever to open the trunk to service the battery.

Is there secret to getting the levers to work? Both trunk levers will not move.

TIA ....john

Greenside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:45 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Look for a thread here in reguards to the emergency hood latch cable behind the passenger side wheel under the plastic wheel well cover. you find it, then pull it and the trunk opens.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:10 AM   #3

Smile Update

Hi: after an extended vacation and busy at work I finally got back to the task of breaking into the boxster.
Before my vacation I had removed the front right wheel and the fender skirt, howerver, I could not find any wire that led back to the front trunk release.

I did check a number of other threads on this board which related to this issue, however, the emergency release wire totally eluded me.

I cobbled up a connection from a lawn tractor battery to the cigarette lighter.
This brought power back to the instument cluster (I could see the clock etc.) and after cycling the remote door opener a few times was finally able to release the latch via the door sill handles.

The battery was totally discharged so was not able to recharge through this path.
I have now fitted a new battery and an external connection for my Deltran Battery Tender so should not have to deal with this anymore.

regards...john
Greenside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:23 AM   #4

Good job, John! Have you had a chance to see if your radio still works? I gather the radios forget the anti-theft code once they're without power. If you don't have that, the Renntech forum has a number of threads about that and some codes you might try.

- Jim

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:58 PM   #5

LESSON:

You leave your car sitting for more than a couple weeks, your battery will drain. Your battery drains, you can't pop the hood.

SOLUTION: For long term storage, get a battery conditioner and connect it to your car.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote