986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Two problems with new 07 Boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12073)

kavlono 07-07-2007 07:55 PM

Two problems with new 07 Boxster

Here are two problems I have encounter with my new 07 Boxster in the first week of ownership: First, the alarm goes off by itself periodically. I was sitting at Starbucks looking at my car outside and all of a sudden the alarm goes off. The car was about 5 meters from me. Today the same thing happed to me. It does not do it at home when it is parked but only on the street. What can cause that. Also, the Boise radio periodically says "STOP" on the panel and will not play anything -CD or radio and no matte what I do it does nothing. So far after a while of fidgeting it goes away. what can cause this/
thanks for the info

drburton 07-07-2007 07:58 PM

I'm not sure on the cause but this obviously isn't normal, some kind of electrical thing, maybe a fuse.

I would contact your service advisor and get the car in under warranty.

pteam 07-07-2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kavlono
Here are two problems I have encounter with my new 07 Boxster in the first week of ownership: First, the alarm goes off by itself periodically. I was sitting at Starbucks looking at my car outside and all of a sudden the alarm goes off. The car was about 5 meters from me. Today the same thing happed to me. It does not do it at home when it is parked but only on the street. What can cause that. Also, the Boise radio periodically says "STOP" on the panel and will not play anything -CD or radio and no matte what I do it does nothing. So far after a while of fidgeting it goes away. what can cause this/
thanks for the info

IT could be the motion sensors inside the car getting set off...

kavlono 07-07-2007 10:31 PM

That sounds like it because the two tims it happened it was parked on busy streets.; Is ther a way to desensitize the motion sensor?

Houston C4S 07-08-2007 10:47 AM

The '07s have a hidden owner viewing sensor designed to reduce the
hours wasted by owners looking at their cars. It's pretty sensitive,
so just stop looking at it.

:)

- Mark

trogdor 07-09-2007 10:00 AM

ohh, been a long time since I've posted but I had this same thing when I first got my car and it turned out that I was putting a sun blocker thing in the window and as it heated over time it slowly moved setting off the alarm... that was such an annoying and weird problem to diagnose! Maybe that helps?

super66 07-09-2007 11:00 AM

the stop message on the CD player I got every once in a blue moon....usually occurred after putting in a cd that I burned from my pc.....fidgeting got it to go away

Dr. Kill 07-09-2007 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kavlono
Also, the Boise radio periodically says "STOP" on the panel and will not play anything -CD or radio and no matte what I do it does nothing. So far after a while of fidgeting it goes away. what can cause this/
thanks for the info

I have experienced this issue a few times too - ejecting the disc and putting it back in usually solves the problem.

Congrats on your purchase.

SD987 07-09-2007 12:37 PM

You can press "TP" + dot button 1 + dot button 3 to reset the system and bypass the STOP message. Sometimes turning on and off isn't enough.

I agree with Super66 that burned CDs seem to cause this messsage to appear more frequently. I also find the message more likely to appear with high ambient temperature (like we've been having lately in CA). BTW Super66, I notice you changed your pic recently and must say your rims look great, although I'm still not sold on the Cayman grills.

I'd be concerned about your overly sentive alarm. I've trafficked 987 boards for a couple of years now and never heard anyone complain about this problem before, where it seems that everyone has experienced the "STOP".

Dr. Kill 07-09-2007 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD987
You can press "TP" + dot button 1 + dot button 3 to reset the system and bypass the STOP message. Sometimes turning on and off isn't enough.

Hey thanks, that's helpful

OldBlevins 07-09-2007 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD987
You can press "TP" + dot button 1 + dot button 3 to reset the system and bypass the STOP message. Sometimes turning on and off isn't enough."

That IS helpful. Clarification? You mean push them all at the same time (like ctrl/alt/del) and not sequentially, yes?

SD987 07-09-2007 01:08 PM

Yes I mean at the same time. It looks like you have a 986, in which case it's TP + 1 + 4 (I believe?).

OldBlevins 07-09-2007 01:27 PM

I do, and thanks, SD987!

eslai 07-09-2007 02:25 PM

Never heard about the alarm issue, but the STOP issue is prevalent. Porsche admits no wrongdoing and will blame your CDs for the issue.

Complain to your Porsche service rep and get in the chain of having them replace your unit in hopes that you have a defective one. Once they've done that a few times you'll find that the problem still exists and that no one in Porsche has a solution.

You can then contact Porsche Customer Commitment (the number is in your owners manual) if you are still peeved about the issue and see what kind of appeasement you are able to wring out of them.

The whole thing's a lengthy process, but I'd say it's worth doing.

I pray that Porsche will get a decent supplier for their stereos someday. I believe the prayers are futile though.

kavlono 07-09-2007 09:20 PM

Thanks for the Stop issue information. i will check it out. As for the alarm. It occurred once with the top down so the motion detector could not have been the problem. Any other ideals, This is a real problem for me.