Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2007, 08:59 PM   #1

left top down in rain, plz help

Hello,

I recently borrowed my friend's 01 boxster for July 4, and I accidently left the top down in the rain. Now the car will not start. I put the top up and the electronics and dash lights work, but when you go and turn the key I get nothing. I tried pumping the clutch a few times, but still get the same thing. Any ideas out there? Any help would be appreciated.

Thx,
David

dderrickii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:02 PM   #2
boggtown

Sounds like the "uber" control unit under the drivers seat got fried. Basically your screwed hardcore. I think it costs thousand dollars or something. Take it to a dealer.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:28 PM   #3

thx for the help.....even though that is not what I wanted to hear.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:49 PM   #4

anyone know how much the control unit under the driver's seat costs?
Old 07-03-2007, 03:15 AM   #5

This sounds really stupid I know, but did you check the steering wheel to see if it is locked or unlocked? This can also lead to the same symptoms you are describing. Good Luck.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:11 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC986
This sounds really stupid I know, but did you check the steering wheel to see if it is locked or unlocked? This can also lead to the same symptoms you are describing. Good Luck.
Good point. Don't forget that you have to push the clutch all the way to the floor as well.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:26 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Im curious, have you mentioned what happened to the car to your friend yet? If you have some torqx screw drivers or sockets, i'd remove the drivers seat and see if theres moister on the control unit or not... If not, try to take a blow drier to the steering colum and maybe the ignition keyhole... could have damaged or shorted that out with water.... Also, check the fuse box for blown fuses and replace all burnt out fuses.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 06:34 AM   #8

if it didnt rain too heavily, i think you should be fine. the front windshield is at such an angle that ir really protects almost everything on/near the dash but i dont know what is under the car seats. like someone said, did you press the clutch down when you turn the ignition key? yes, also check for any burnt fuses. unless it rained and poured for several hours and everything is soaking wet, i can't see how the car got screwed up. let us know.
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:27 AM   #9

Move the driver's seat forward and feel under it. Is it wet? If so, dry it out.

I had a similar problem, the drain on the driver's side was plugged, and it leaked into the cabin. The car operated fine, but after running a couple errands, everything would work, but the starter wouldn't engage. Likely the starter kill circuit was activated. Dried it out and it's worked fine since.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:07 AM   #10

To be the first in this post to say this..... this is why I don't let people borrow my cars! Have you told your friend about this yet?

It sounds like the immobilizer (under the driver seat) is fried. The windshield should have saved most of the dash components, but I'm guessing its damp under the seat and you fried that black box.

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 04:29 PM   #11

update!!!!

Well, here is the update. I left the doors open and put a fan inside the car for three days, trying to start the car each day. Finally on the third day it started right up. I let my friend know what happened and he wasn't as mad as I thought. I told him that I would pay if he wanted to take it to the dealer but he says everything it running fine now. And yes, he is a very good friend. Thanks again for everyone's help.