Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2007, 07:10 AM   #1

Please HELP! Horn going off on its own

Dear enthusiats,

The horn on my 99 Boxster is 'loose' on the left top portion and goes off on its own when I am on a downslope or when I hit bumps in the road.

Please advise on how to fix this.

Thank you in advance.

-le jolie rogue

Old 07-07-2007, 07:24 AM   #2

A very common occurrence. The bushings in the horn frame have weakened and need repairing.. there are a few threads about that here and a really good one over on Rentech.com,
I think you'll have to register on renntech to see it but it is a good thread:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1728

Nothing personal folks, we are hear to help but, a quick search before posting is always a good idea. There are several threads about this here on the forum, here is a thread from just a few days ago about this very same thing:
Horn doesnt stop Honkin...

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Pull the Horn fuse out until you receive your new horn frame or finsh the DIY repair... in the meantime drive extra careful cause you wont have a horn to warn the a-holes that change lanes without looking over there shoulders. maybe crusie at 4200 rpm's so they atleast hear you.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 09:50 PM   #4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel
A very common occurrence. The bushings in the horn frame have weakened and need repairing.. there are a few threads about that here and a really good one over on Rentech.com,
I think you'll have to register on renntech to see it but it is a good thread:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1728

Nothing personal folks, we are hear to help but, a quick search before posting is always a good idea. There are several threads about this here on the forum, here is a thread from just a few days ago about this very same thing:
Horn doesnt stop Honkin...

Aloha,
I'm not an experienced mechanic (I'm the girl who grew up watching her dad fix the car), but I fixed a problem with the ignition switch on my little boxster, figured out how to jump-start my car through the lighter, and I'm determined to fix my horn problem. I follow instructions well- I just can't seem to find the direcitons on how to get to the frame.... There are screws behind the wheels and something about unplugging the airbag, but does anybody have a play-by-play on how to get the steering wheel off? Full instructions from start to finish would be HUGELY appreciated- there isn't even a porche dealer on island for me to visit! Mahalo in advance!!!
surs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 06:46 AM   #5

surs, the steering wheel does not need to come off. When you remove the torx bolts (from the back of the steering wheel) the airbag module will be free. I think everything else will be clear to you once the airbag is out of the way...

p.s. Hmmm, Hawaii, I think we need to have a tech day hosted by surs

p.p.s + thank you for searching out and using an existing thread, rather then starting a new one

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)

Last edited by kabel; 09-23-2007 at 04:54 PM. Reason: added info
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote