Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2007, 02:55 PM   #1

Unhappy caliper clearcoat coming off

The clearcoat is coming off one of the red calipers on my 2002 Boxster S. Paint is still on, just seems to be the clearcoat. Just looks dull where it came off. Anyone else had this problem, know a solution or the best way to fix?

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:25 PM   #2

Must be something about the '02 S, I have the same issue. The only thing I can think of is to remove them and hand sand them. I would think we would have uneven lines in the without getting all the clear off. Alot of nooks and crannies there Not looking foward to this one.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
Pat

Your best bet is to remove them, have them sandblasted and powdercoated. Considering the heat calipers endure, not to mention corrosive brake dust, that is the only thing that will last. I have personally used high-temp paint, and G2 Caliper Paint myself. The stuff just doesn't last, even with perfect prep work.
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #4

If you're going to do anything about it, pull your calipers, rebuild them, have them blasted and powder coated, and enjoy life after that

Otherwise you could just live with it.....

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:10 AM   #5

my 2002 s did the same thing. It looked bad until I went to the car wash and power washed the rest of the clearcoat off. At least now it is all one color, a dull red.

James

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote