Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2007, 05:39 PM   #1

Purchased my first porsche Boxster

Just purchased (April) 2007 Box and traded a 350z roadster. I loved my Z but have alway wanted a Porsche. At this point I don't think it will be my last. My Z had more tourque off the line, however the Box performs better at higher RPM. I love the fit and finish better than the Z and the Porsche is more solid and quieton the inside. Any tips for a first time owner? :dance:

Bwbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 06:16 PM   #2

Drive it more: Longer times, distances, and more curvy roads - hard. The more you do, the more you'll like it. Eventually, treat yourself (or get someone else to) to some extras from the Porsche catalog, like clear side markers, a better exhaust tip, spacers, etc...

Enjoy.
John Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
yeah please dont be one of those people that drives it 500 miles a year and then complain that everything is breaking couse the car and parts dont get worked at all.

welcome to the club btw, its quite an addiction, you will love it here
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:48 AM   #4
1JB

Congratulations BWbanker! My only recommendations are to follow the break in period recommendation of staying below 4200 rpm for the first 2k miles. Be sure the oil is warmed up (I can't remember but I think it's 275? someone here will know and jump in I hope) before hard acceleration. Be sure the tires are warm before aggressive cornering. Ignore the junior speed racers who ride your butt when you just want to enjoy the ride. Last but not least - Find as many tunnels and underpasses as you can to drive through. The roar is fantastic.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:49 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to dmenn
Perhaps part of the hobby/addiction is to only drive the car for a limited amount during the year. It creates excitement and feels like a new car everytime you sit in it. Porsche owners aren't the only ones that do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
yeah please dont be one of those people that drives it 500 miles a year and then complain that everything is breaking couse the car and parts dont get worked at all.

welcome to the club btw, its quite an addiction, you will love it here
dmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:06 AM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwbanker
Just purchased (April) 2007 Box and traded a 350z roadster. I loved my Z but have alway wanted a Porsche. At this point I don't think it will be my last. My Z had more tourque off the line, however the Box performs better at higher RPM. I love the fit and finish better than the Z and the Porsche is more solid and quieton the inside. Any tips for a first time owner? :dance:
Welcome. Enjoy. The Boxter is perhaps the most fun car to drive at any price.

Owner tips?

Join PCA, get involved in Autocross and track days. Really learn how to drive it like it was meant to be driven. These cars can really fly with a skilled driver.

Resist the temptation to "performance tune" your engine. Porsche already did that for you. Others may disagree but engine mods often just gum up the works. These cars tend to run best when you leave them alone. Save your hot rodding for Honda, Mitsu, Ford, Chevy. Adding HP on those cars is cheap and easy. Adding significant HP to a Porsche is very expensive and is a PITA. Save your money for good tires.http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11912

Last edited by Topless; 07-05-2007 at 07:22 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 07:26 AM   #7

Thumbs up Welcome

Welcome to the club. You will find that this is one of the best handling cars in the market. It has speed, superb handling, and great ride. Twisty roads make it shine. Top down, the noise of the engine and enjoy the ride. I use mine every day and never grow bored of using it.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:50 AM   #8

Congrats...you are going to really enjoy owning the Boxster...my only suggestion is to keep it clean. Nothing more annoying than nice cars that aren't kept up.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:16 AM   #9

New owner and no pics?! Shame!!! Seriously, welcome and congrats on the purchase. I had the opportunity for a Porsche Driving Experience recently here in Denver. It was all Mid-Engine cars. Boxsters and Caymans. It combined autocross, high speed slalom, and accident avoidence components. These machines are amazing when driven "on the edge." I agree with a previous poster...get some professional instruction with your car, it really elevates the enjoyment. Let's see some pics!
Old 07-05-2007, 01:23 PM   #10

I agree with rdancd816! second thread about their new box and no pix...T.T.I.W.W.O.P.

On the bright side....Congrats and please like what everyone said..drive it hard on AX (after 2k miles) but do not abuse it and keep it clean

unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote